Hudson Valley Photo Workshops Message Board › Beginning Photography Classes begin on Monday!

Beginning Photography Classes begin on Monday!

Diane B.
DianeBollen
Group Organizer
Warwick, NY
Greetings workshop members,

Our first series of Photography classes and workshops start this Monday, January 7th.  We have 4 spots available (a few folks have registered that aren't meet-up members).  The course list follows.

Each class is on a specific topic, and you may attend single classes.  This class series is geared toward older teen and adult students.  Each class is $35.  This class
series is on Monday evenings from 7-8:30 in Warwick (once you register you will be sent the location address.  Class size is limited to 8 students to insure individual attention.  There will be one class field outing that will be scheduled during the six weeks at a time convenient to the students.  If you sign up for the series, the cost is $200 (essentially getting one class free). The only thing required for this series is a camera.
If you are interested in this as a gift, Gift Certificates are available as well.
To register, email your name, address, email address and phone number back to me.  The fee can be paid
by check to Dragonfly Studio at the above address.
I look forward to seeing you in class!
Diane

Beginning Photography

Steps to improve your images

Week 1, January 7) What do all those buttons on my camera do? Have you ever wondered why you can’t capture the subject the way you see it?  During this first class we will explore all the components that go into capturing the image you are after.  This will require taking your camera off auto and learning how iso, shutter speed and aperture interact to achieve the perfect exposure.

Week 2, January 14) Photography is all about light.  This week we will work on “seeing the light”.  We will look at different types of light, understand color temperature and explore what effect different lighting patterns have on the way our subject looks.

Week 3, January 28 (no class January 20) Rule of thirds, triangles, and curves. Understanding composition can be the difference between a boring snapshot and a dynamic image.  Many different components effect composition – this week we will look at some basic geometric shapes and how they can be used to create a dynamic composition.

Week 4, February 4) Interesting Subject Composition.  This week we will look at leading lines, vanishing points, and the use of light and shadow to bring more movement and drama to your images.

Week 5, February 11) Posed vs. candid.  This week we will look at the many different ways to photograph people.  We will explore how light and posing affect how good (or bad) someone looks in a photograph.  We will take your family pictures to a new and more interesting level.

This will be a hands-on class and we will bring in some models, both human and furry :)

Week 6, February 18) Post processing basics. We’ve spent the past 5 weeks getting some fabulous images.  This week we will learn some basic techniques to enhance the photos and create some works of art! Each student will leave this class with a print of their best work.

Notes: Each week there will be an assignment for the next week.  Students should e-mail me 2 or 3 of their best images from that assignment prior to the next class.  At the start of class we will review the images.  The discussion will be positive and anonymous .

Students not attending every class are encouraged to bring i