Humanities Project Monthly Cultural Presentation & Meeting
Doreen Saferstein hosts:
A group reading of the play,
"Our Country's Good", by Timberlake Wertenbaker
Doreen was so impressed and inspired when she saw a performance of this play, that she wishes to host a reading by fellow Humanists and friends around a table at our December Humanities Project meeting.
If you would like to participate in the reading, or just want to follow along, you need a copy of the play (no photocopies allowed, but sharing books is possible). There are 16 parts, and some people may read 2 parts. Doreen will bring a sign-up sheet to the October and November Humanities Project meetings, and we will make plans for the presentation. One topic for discussion: We may focus on the 2nd act only.
The book is available on Amazon for $8.95 (it looks like used copies are available starting at $1.50.) http://www.amazon.com/Our-Countrys-Good-Timberlake-Wertenbaker/dp/0871293420
About the play:
Our Country's Good is a 1988 play written by British playwright, Timberlake Wertenbaker, adapted from the Thomas Keneally novel The Playmaker. The story concerns a group of Royal Marines and convicts in a penal colony in New South Wales, in the 1780s, who put on a production of The Recruiting Officer. First staged at the Royal Court Theatre, London, on 10 September 1988, directed by Max Stafford-Clark. It ran on Broadway in 1991.
From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Country%27s_Good
Bringing and sharing of light refreshments encouraged and appreciated!
- The HSGP Humanities Project will hold Open Meetings on the 3rd Friday of each month at 7pm at HCC. All are invited to attend. The first part of the meeting is given over to one or more of our HSGP members or guests to share with us some aspect of arts & humanities that they are passionate about! The second part of the meeting is for general business, ie planning of future events. Total meeting time approximately 2 hours.
- The HSGP Humanities Project will present arts & humanities related talks at 3 Sunday Speaker meetings in 2012 (05/20/12 - Stolen Art; 09/09/12 - Music; 10/21/12 - Architecture).
- We will plan and execute at least one fundraiser for HSGP.
- Throughout the year we will plan excursions to various arts & humanities events in and around the Valley for those who wish to participate.
- On occasion we may hold fun artsy events at the HCC.
Hosted by Mike Franklin and your HSGP Humanities Project Committee.