align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Humanist Society of Greater Phoenix (HSGP) Message Board › Nate Phelps on January 4

Nate Phelps on January 4

Richard K.
Lose_The_Woo
Mesa, AZ
Post #: 139
I am reposting this message from Holly who originally posted it on the Phoenix Atheist Meetup Group Message Board because it has relevancy here. Thanks and hope to see you there!

Howdy all and welcome to the beginning of the next 5000 year Mayan cycle!

I know there are a million great causes to give to and many of us are strapped financially but I have to ask for help with this event.
I moved forward with this knowing:
A) This is worth the money.
B) Offering this for FREE to the public is better than making it exclusive and
C) We have over 1500 members. If we all gave 34 cents this event would be paid for!

We (okay I) would love to raise enough money to cover Nate's speaking fee. We decided to do it this way instead of charging to attend the event. This way the event is FREE for all who want to come. So far I have 5 VERY giving people. If all my like-minded friends who feel this talk is worth attending just threw in a couple bucks we could have this event covered very quickly. We're still in need of another $260 dollars.

The Mesa Community Collage SSA has worked quickly and diligently to get us a venue with security and do a lot of the footwork and promotion for this. This will be a great flagship event for their new SSA group and a wonderful opportunity for all of us to come together!

I feel now more than ever when we are all looking around wondering who are the villains and who are the good guys so we need to support and celebrate the people trying to do some good and right some wrongs. Nate is one of those people!

I brag about PAMG all the time. I talk about how on October 11th of 2008 I opened my home to have an event for PAMG. Over 100 people came. I knew less than 20% of them. That is how much I trusted and was committed to my newly found band of atheists. I say to people that when I joined in 2008 we had less than 500 members and now we have over 1500! I say, "We're just the brave tip of the iceberg," the folks willing to come out and gather together, socialize and try to make a better world. Each of us likely knows other non-theists who won't join a group but we are the connection for them. We keep them in the loop with information about social gatherings, outdoor events, charitable and educational opportunities and lectures like this one by Nate Phelps.
Please spread the word about this FREE event but also please consider giving a bit of money to make it happen so the people who truly can't afford it can come for FREE.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you enjoy the return of the light. I know I am looking forward to it!
Holly