San Jose, CA
Calling all MSSF Members, the Fungus Fair is just two weeks away (December 1-2); it is a fun event that runs entirely on volunteer power.
On Friday (November 30), the day before the fair opens to the public, dozens of energetic people locate fungi for display at the fair. Most years, more than 250 species are collected.
You can participate in an organized foray, or hike to your own favorite spot. The collected fungi should then be delivered to the Lawrence Hall of Science (Friday), where MSSF experts first identify them, then arrange the specimens in naturalistic displays.
For foray info, see the MSSF Calendar.
We need plenty of help setting up the fair on Friday, from 4pm on.
Perhaps you'd like to do something at the fair.
Even if you are a beginner, there are things you can do.
- we have a room for kids to color, make buttons, see & touch severl kinds of fungi
- if you are a member of the culinary group, come tell people what you like about the dinners
- help sell books. t-shirts, raffle tickets
- if you have a special interest: ecology, microscopes, cultivation, we have tables that need staffing
- and last, but not least, we need help breaking down and cleaning up on Sunday when the fair ends (we have to get the place cleaned and sorted for the classes happening on Monday)
To see where we need help, and to sign up, check out: 2012 volunteer opportunities
Any questions about volunteering can go to Stephanie Wright, <FungusFair AT ByteWright.com>
If you just want to visit the fair with your kids or friends, see MSSF Fungus Fair at Lawrence Hall of Science
Thanks and I hope to see many of you at the fair, Stephanie
*****Also, post in the message boards if you want to car pool to the fair with others in this Meetup either Saturday or Sunday*****