Ed Posted Apr 24, 2009
Post #: 1
Great discussion. Many wonderful ideas were presented.
The restlessness of the group was palpable. Everyone's body language and intensity was screaming "LET'S DO SOMETHING!"
Some ideas I remember:
1. We need a unified message/talking points/mission statement. Right now we are a collection of individuals with many differing thoughts on what needs to be done and what our focus should be. Maintaining our individuality seemed to be emphasized (We should all do what we can sort of idea). However, most seemed to feel some sort of mission statement is in order.
2. Educate. Whether it be in the schools or in your daily discussions, be informed and spread the word to all who will listen. Many repeated the concept that we should attack the issues with truthful information rather than attacking Obama by name.
3. Use the media. Write blogs. Use viral messaging to spread information. Much to our surprise, many in the group do indeed use facebook and even Twitter. Let's make it work for us the way Obama's team used it to get him elected. Starting a small newspaper to provide fair an balanced reporting was discussed (What was I thinking?). This may have to wait until we achieve critical mass.
4. Recruit new members. Bring a friend to the next meeting event.
5. Plan the next big event. A 4th of July trip to D.C. (our Million person march) or a large Long Island event were contemplated.
6. Social Event for the group???? The Main Event works for me.
Thanks to all for your enlightenment. I really enjoyed your company tonight.
Barbara Posted Apr 24, 2009
Post #: 1
Agreed that it was a worthwhile and interesting meet up. In addition to the above items, the idea of a "gathering" at Newsday struck a chord with many of us....
Appreciated the many good thoughts on ways to spread our message...even as that message coalesces. The handouts at the train stations sounds effective and the newspaper...free and perhaps at train stations. Eventually mailing a newsletter/newspaper as an insert to homes would be a great way to communicate.
Don Posted Apr 24, 2009
Post #: 47
lets add that each individual who has an idea should post it on the website and ask for assistance with their activity. this should be something that can be done at any time, little things mean a lot in this process. organizing days to hand out informational, educational brochures at train stations, schools and even parking lots to spread the word.
another idea was to post information in the free section of the local pennysavers.
once we have the group brochure and newsletter, handing them out to local businesses will be an effective way to distribute info. i have spoken to several friends who would be willing to have them available for customers at a point of contact.
once we have a complete list we should think about prioritizing certain items. obviously recuriting new members can be done continuously, but preparing a tri-fold with the groups philosophy and what we are trying to accomplish will go a long way to educating others and getting them involved.
then we need to focus on bigger events planning, like the july 4th rally.
|Page title||Most recent update||Last edited by|
|Thoughts from our April 23rd Meeting||May 3, 2009 5:45 PM||Larry|
|About INDIVIDUALS UNITED FOR FREEDOM-A branch of the RVC TEA PARTY||March 10, 2010 6:33 PM||former member|