Indy Meetup Photo Club Message Board Focus Groups › Tracy asked about Focus Groups:

Tracy asked about Focus Groups:

Carol T
cthomps4
Group Organizer
Mc Cordsville, IN
Post #: 34
Tracy's Question: "Are there 6 focus groups already? (Above it says 30 mins - 5 min for each) Could you list what they are please? (Coming downtown on weekdays is often difficult for me, so I may have missed their start-ups.) Thank you."

My Response:

Tracy, We are in the process of "developing Focus Groups" and all have not started as of today . The only one now in place is the TTD ("Trash the Dress"); and it's doing extremely well. Whether members believe in this concept or not, is another matter..as it provides a lot of photo opportunities. a lot of lessons being taught, and a lot of fun for members. Carter & Amy are doing a great job.

We've actually identified about 15 different Focus Groups we hope to be starting. I'm waiting on the leaders of each to tell me when they want to start as there is no set start/stop date. Some will be short lived; some will stop and start; some will be ongoing. Fred Soskel will be heading one soon "Camera Basics". That will be for people like me (fairly new to photography and definitey amateur), who needs that extra hands on boost via training with just the basics. I have all the groups written down...but not here at home with me. I'll get that list and post on the web soon. We can always add to it and as soon as we have at least 3-4 in addition to a leader, who say they'd like to be a part of a specific group...there it is a new FG.

The whole idea for these is to have dedicated time for the different subject matters for those people who share that particular interest...and, yet not have that time taking away from the regularly scheduled speaker meetings or the reguarly scheduled eductional meetings. At the Open Forums, leaders of these groups will be alotted time to tell the membership of activities/events their group has going on so other members will know and have an opportunity to get involved if they choose. These will be open to all paid members. Their photoshoots (if they have some) will be posted just as other meetup events.

These will not be exclusive, except for the Fund Focus Group...and the reason it will be is because I do not want to go back and take the time to bring someone new to that FG up to speed...as our purpose initially will be working to develop fund measures for the overall membership. Later, after that goals have been met and the kinks worked out...it will become open.

If there is a particular FG you'd like to see take place let me know. I'm adding leaders and members to these groups and when I have the number required...I'll see when we can get that group up and going. I hope this answers, but if not get back with me. I'd like to see at least a couple more started before the end of the year. But, no hurry for most....only the leader will say what and when. These groups will be somewhat self-governing...just giving updates at the Open Forums. That is why I allowed the time frames in the Open Forum. there may be no report for many for a while.

The Focus Groups do not have to occur on the week nights. For future, I'd prefer we corral them into Friday evening and Saturday time frames. But, for now...I'm just glad to see them taking off...
Carol T
cthomps4
Group Organizer
Mc Cordsville, IN
Post #: 35
Focus Groups will be open ONLY to paid members. So, if anyone is considering being a participant...be sure your dues are in order.

Carol
A former member
Post #: 11
I know I'm not a paid member yet, but wanted to put out there that I would be willing to lead a focus group for equestrian/equine photography. That is really my specialty (both equine portraiture and event), although I work in other genres to pay all the bills. :)

Amy Latka
Carol T
cthomps4
Group Organizer
Mc Cordsville, IN
Post #: 36
Hi Amy,

To take part in any other part of the club...other than the first initial set of meetings...you must be a paid member...that is true. If we make an excepton for one, we need to do the same for everyone.

I would love to talk with you further abut your desire to lead a Focus Group on equestrine photography. I think there would be a great amount of interest.

I'm quite busy...but mostly with photo club activities. I'll be at the Attic (our club house), located at 152 E. 14th St (middle door) from 11 am - 4 pm Saturday, October 15. Feel free to come and visit and talk with me then. Or email me and we'll find a time to talk.

I'd love to have you on board... And, I'm certain many others will too!

Carol
A former member
Post #: 13
Thanks for your response Carol. :) I'm currently pregnant and due on Thursday (Oct 27th). I do plan to join, but will be waiting until after the baby arrives and I'm a bit into my maternity leave. Thanks.
A former member
Post #: 14
Hi Carol,

I am a paid member of the photo club. I plan to attend the meeting on the 26th. I'd love to chat with you more about creating a focus group, or at a minimum, talking about equine photography. :)

Amy
Carol T
cthomps4
Group Organizer
Mc Cordsville, IN
Post #: 48
Amy, I am very excited about this too! I can meet with you after work on Wednesday or after the class on Thursday...or next Saturday. I'm very excited and have a couple members that I'm aware of already that I think are waiting for someone to get this up and going. I love horses too...so there may be an automatic 3 right from the start!

So...let me know what your schedule is like and I'll make the time for us to talk and get this going...

Carol