addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Indy Meetup Photo Club Message Board Focus Groups › Equine Focus Group - All About Horses

Equine Focus Group - All About Horses

Amy L.
horsepix
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 16
Hey everyone! I'm looking forward to leading the Equine Photography focus group. I specialize in equestrian photography (photography of horses) and look forward to sharing what I know with the group. Feel free to check out my work on my website www.LatkaPhoto.com.

If there is interest, I'm thinking about an outing at an area barn this spring. It would be at least a 1/2 day thing if not an all day thing. We'll be able to cover many of the challenges that are faced by equine photographers including (but not limited to):

- portrait settings & how to set up horse/handler
- portraits in various settings
- shooting in a barn and/or indoor arena (low light conditions)
- shooting in an outdoor arena
- shooting action shots (horse at liberty, horse being ridden, jumping, etc.)
- conformation pictures

There are also lots of opportunities to shoot small local horse shows. Most larger shows have official photographers and we would need permission from both the show organizer and the official show photographer in order to cover the event. While we would not be selling images we take, getting permission from the official photographer is just the right thing to do.

If anyone has any specific things they'd like to learn about, I welcome your suggestions. I think this focus group will be excellent both for those that love horses, but also those looking to challenge themselves by shooting in a challenging environment where lighting, timing and composition are going to be key to successful images (at least from a retail point of view). There are also plenty of opportunities for artsy and dramatic images on a horse farm.
A former member
Post #: 10
I would be interested in this focus group. I have attend most of the equine shows at the State Fairgrounds over the years. Never got close enough to the action to really get good shots. I also, like going through the pactice ring areas and stall areas. Let me know about some of these. Would love to shoot some.... John
A former member
Post #: 120
I may be up for an outing or two, not sure on committment beyond that. I missed everything last summer sadly but enjoyed a competition event at Trader's Point back in 2010. I think I'm due to hit another event as I like the variety, and now I know a bit more about what I want to capture. I'd be game to tag along to an event even if things don't materialize into a larger interest group.

Dave
Carol T.
cthomps4
Group Organizer
Mc Cordsville, IN
Post #: 50
Liz Fry is definitely interested in this group as she also has a horse and we talked about this before she evr joined the club. She's looking forward to this and even offered for us to visit the stables where her horse is housed and all. Bill Riggs has also commented with a very strong interest. So...I think we got our group already and just need to set some date to get this up and running. We'll want to set it out at least 3 - 4 weeks so people will have a chance to notice it's there and since this is something NEW. But, I think we'll see a lot of people come on board once this is up and running if not in the beginning as I think this will generate some real animal lover photos...

So excited that this will be taking off the ground real soon!!!
A former member
Post #: 1
Yes Yes. This is really exciting and I'd like to go.
Carol T.
cthomps4
Group Organizer
Mc Cordsville, IN
Post #: 51
Hi Amy,

Hope you're keeping a list...as seems this is taking off really well. This will be very exciting and lots of fun...!!!!!!!
Amy L.
horsepix
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 20
Hey Everyone,

I have a VERY EXCITING announcement!! I have spoken with a friend of mine who has a small horse farm in Westfield (just north of Indianapolis) about the possibility of doing a club outing at her farm. She said yes and gave me a couple of dates that would work for her.

We need to pick one of these days:

• April 28
  • April 29
  • May 26
  • May 27

This will be a great opportunity for anyone who would like to learn more about taking pictures of horses (portrait, fine art and sports/action). Details are forthcoming, but here are some of my thoughts on topics we can cover:

• Setting up the portrait (making a horse look like a horse)
  • Creative Use of Natural Light
  • Portraits in natural settings
  • Challenges of shooting Indoors (she has an indoor arena)
  • Correct Timing: Capturing the Right Moment

My friend has both an indoor and outdoor arena on her property. It is also very picturesque with white fenced fields and a long driveway flanked by a row of trees on either side. We'll be able to learn about settings for shooting portraits indoors and outdoors. Sarah also has jumps on her property and we'll have the opportunity to work on timing and getting the correct moment of the stride or position over a fence.

As you can see, there is a lot of overlap with both portrait photographers and sports/action photographers. Photographing the horse is simply a special little niche that combines both. Something else to think about is who is your client and what do they want? In other words, if you're the photographer at a horse show, it will be important for you to know the breed or discipline in the competition and how they should be photographed (i.e. what sells). Same with the portrait and fine art photography. Your client may want classic portraits for their walls at home, or they may want something a bit more whimsical that would fall into the fine art category.

Here are a few links (look for the galleries on their sites) to get your creative juices flowing!

Robert Vavra - http://www.robertvavr...­
Terri Miller - http://terrimiller.co...­
Gabrielle Boiselle - http://english.editio...­
Suzanne Sturgill - http://www.suzannesph...­

Amy
A former member
Post #: 123
Awesome! What a great friend you have. It would be a treat to get out there on an invited basis. As for dates, although I don't have current plans for Memorial Day weekend, the two dates you list for May fall into that timeframe. Although the weather would likely be nicer for the May dates it may cut down the attendance.

So, even though I'm not already committed to be elsewhere, my vote would be for April, either the 28th or 29th.

Glad to hear she has some jumps - shooting that action really is akin to sports photography. I encourage anyone else in the sports focus group to strongly consider this opportunity, or at least some horse jumping competition event. I look forward to improving upon my past equine photography.
Carol T.
cthomps4
Group Organizer
Mc Cordsville, IN
Post #: 52
What a great BANG! of a start Amy!!!

I'm with Dave on this...April 28 or 29 would be my vote as May may be a tad warmer...but you have all that Memorial Day-Race Day fall out the last 2 weeks. Count me in for this!!!

I also agree, that those in the Sports Focus Group would both enjoy and learn a lot from this! You can provide us with more details later on. Once you confirm a date and time...let's put this on the calendar...

Great Job!!!

Carol