Iowa Atheists and Freethinkers Message Board › Yes Virginia, there will be a tomorrow...

Yes Virginia, there will be a tomorrow...

Jeremy (J) H.
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 3
As the saying goes, sooner or later the truth will come out. By my calendar, we have about a month before all this 'End of the world', 'Apocalyptic', 'Mayan Calendar Ending', 'December 21st' nonsense suffers the burden of truth. There are countless articles and commentaries scattered across the Interwebs (yes, I said Inter-webs) both in support of the paranoia and firmly against it. One such article scurried across my visual transom today as I was reading unrelated articles on social fallout from the recent Presidential Election. You can read it here -

Doomsday 2012 Hoax: NASA Scientist David Morrison Debunks End Of World Theories

For those in the know, very little of this article will be surprising. The bit that caught my eye, though, was the effect that the End-Timer mentality can potentially have on young children. I've been there so I have a perspective and believe that everyone should be aware. I wont go as far as Dawkins and claim that religion imposed on children is universally abusive but some religious practices do fit that description. Another eye-popping section related how parents were allegedly planning on ending the lives of their children and then committing suicide in anticipation of this imagined apocalypse. It's disturbing to think about but I shouldn't be surprised considering the reports of people committing suicide and using vehicles to run down their spouses over the recent Election victory in favor of our President.

Another article unrelated to the December 21st phenomenon reporting on an equally absurd religionist notion came up as well. Apparantly a Seventh-Day Adventist somewhere has it in his head that those of us who eat meat are more vile and evil than the entire death-row population of the U.S. Read here -

Indian Textbook Claims Meat Eaters 'Steal, Fight And Turn To Violence And Sex Crimes'

Thankfully, the publisher mentioned in the article was inteligent enough to see the controversial statement for what it was.

My apologies to anyone who is saddened by any of this but I felt it necessary to keep people informed.