93 year old Clark Terry needs extra medical assistance and one can give if they choose through the Jazz Foundation of America http://clarkterry.com/#/donate/
or give to the general fund to help all musicians out in general.
Detroit Metro Airport is offering FREE unlimited wireless air minutes! Setting to connect: AWG WIFI
Great Lakes Chamber Music Festival 2014 “In The Shadow of Bach” is the next theme…June 14 thru 29
- The Steve Wood Trio is back at Filippa's Wine Barrel, 45125 Mound Rd.(at M59) in Utica. We're there on Fridays 10/18, 11/1, 11/8, 12/6, and 12/20 from 8-11pm. Join us! http://www.filippas.com/
10-17 Muruga and the Cosmic Hoedown Band live on WHFR.FM
, 89.3 FM on the Motor Live show hosted by Roger and Margaret White 5 - 6pm. It's Henry Ford Radio you can listen live online http://whfr.fm/
10-17 Orquestra La Inspiracion Salsa show and dance from 8 to 11pm (free dance lessons prior to 8pm) at Eastern Michigan University –358 EMU Student Center, Ballroom A for $5 in Ypsilanti [masked]
8. 10-17 Crescent City Trio with
10-18 Dave Bennett Quartet in concert for the Flint Institute of Arts Jazz Series, with Dave on clarinet, Cliff Monear on piano, Jeff Pedraz on bass and Doug Cobb on drums. Tickets $35 includes food and a cash bar. The Flint Institute of Arts is located at 1120 E. Kearsley Street Flint Mi 48503. Please e-mail: [address removed] with name, return phone number and number attending. Web site is www.flintarts.org\
. Tickets are $35 each.
10-18 Michele Ramo on 8-string guitar with Heidi Hepler – voice, Jenuwine Cigar Factory Outlets, 8-11 p.m., #1 Cigar Lounge in Michigan. 44791 Schoenherr Rd., Sterling Heights, [masked]
10-19 Michele Ramo World Jazz Orchestra featuring Michele Ramo, Eddie Monteiro on accordion, Russ Miller on Sax, Heidi Hepler voice and Billy Cairo on drums. Forestre Banquet Center, 1919 Star-Batt Dr., Rochester Hills. [masked]
. Tickets $25, Hors d'oeuvres at 7:30 p.m., sponsored by Forestre Banquet Center in the Concorde Inn and the Michigan Accordion Society. Please see attached flier for more info.
23. 10-19 Paul Carey Trio (Hammond Organ Jazz/Blues with special guest Benny Reeves, featuring Mark LoDuca on organ), 9:30 p.m., at Tbones, 23018 Greater Mack Avenue.
24. 10-19 The Dave Bennett Quartet featuring Dave on clarinet, piano, vocals, Kurt Krahnke on bass, Doug Cobb on drums and Duncan McMillan on piano. Peabody's
34965 Woodward Avenue, Birmingham, MI, [masked]
10-20 (SUN) Ellen Rowe Trio's Kerrytown Concert House jazz series called ALL ABOUT THE TRIO continues today at 2 PM. Today's special concert salutes the recently departed pianist Marian McPartland. The Ellen Rowe Trio is pianist/composer/educator Ellen Rowe, string bassist Paul Keller and drummer Pete Siers. The trio play a some of Marian McPartland's great compositions including Twilight World and Ellen will present an overview of Marian's life and legacy. Q and A is welcomed. Kerrytown Concert House is located at 415 N. Fourth Ave. For reservations call 734/[masked]
. Check out www.kerrytownconcerthouse.com
10-20 B'Jazz at Birmingham Baptist Church presents "Some Sweet Jazz and an Interlude of Worship" with Sheila Landis on vocals, George "Sax" Benson on tenor and alto sax, Rick Matle on guitar, Christ Codish on keyboard and keyboard bass, Karen Tomalis on drums. First Baptist Church, 300 Willits, Birmingham, 48009. [masked]
. Sheila is a seven-time Detroit Music Awards "Outstanding Jazz Vocalist."
30. 10-20 James Dapogny and Phil Ogilvie’s Rhythm Kings play at Zal Gaz Grotto. 6-9 p.m. this week. Admission $7, $5 for students and seniors. Zal Gaz Grotto located at 2070 Stadium Boulevard in Ann Arbor, between Liberty and Pauline and across from the Ann Arbor west side Post Office. The Grotto has a light menu, a bar, free parking, a dance floor, no steps (except on the dance floor), an unusually friendly and welcoming audience, a 7-foot Yamaha grand piano, and an unusual hot ten-piece jazz band. For the record, the only remaining 6 p.m. start times are October 13, November 10 and December 8.
31. 10-21 (MON) Paul Keller Orchestra performs at Zal Gaz Grotto 2070 W. Stadium Boulevard on the west side of Ann Arbor (between Liberty and Pauline - across from the post office and next door to the Chrysler/Jeep dealership).NEW SHOWTIME is 7 p.m. Great food and drinks! Ample, safe, and FREE Parking. Air-conditioning. No steps! Excellent acoustics. Friendly, attentive staff. $10.00 cover charge. Come and enjoy GREAT BIG BAND MUSIC every Monday night. It's a beloved Monday night TRADITION.
10-22 (TUE) ! Blues @ The Elks is starting this month in cooperation with the Detroit Blues Society at the Plymouth Elks Lodge #1780 at 41700 Ann Arbor Rd. in Plymouth. On Tuesday, October 22nd at 7 pm we are highlighting the famous David Vest on Keyboard with local favorites George Bedard on bass and RJ Spangler on drums. Donation at the door is $5. Come and enjoy American born and bred blues! To learn more about David Vest’s extensive entertainment career go to his website www.davidvest.ca
For more information call [masked]
or visit www.detroitbluessociety.org
10-22 thru 26 Edgefest at Ann Arbor’s Kerrytown Concert House…this is NTBM, WORLD CLASS avant jazz/modern chamber stuff! I will put out an additional email update later on for just the fest. I urge you to give this fest a try! If you don’t get a fast-selling pass that covers the whole fest, then go for individual concerts, but sign up and reserve NOW! You pay at the door when come with cash or check ONLY---NO credit cards! http://www.kerrytownconcerthouse.com/index.php/events/edgefest/
important…reserve your seats TODAY as some shows will sell out…don’t wait! Ask me questions that you might have. Look for my scheduled pre-concerts dinners too! This is WORLD-CLASS!
10-26 (SAT) Planet D Nonet Swing Dance at Mario's, 8 p.m. 4222 Second Avenue, Detroit,[masked], [masked]
10-26 Detroit Blues Veteran's Reunion w/ Garfield Angove, Kenny Parker, Shawn McDonald, Bob Conner & RJ Spangler for the Blues Heritage Series at the Scarab Club in Detroit. http://www.scarabclub.org/
10-27 Planet D Nonet at the Blue Goose Inn, 4 p.m. with Camille Price, St. Clair Shores, MI http://bluegooseinn.net/
52. 10-28 (MON) Paul Keller Orchestra performs at their steady gig at Zal Gaz Grotto. PKO plays tonight and every Monday night from 7 till 9:45 PM at Zal Gaz Grotto, 2070 W. Stadium Boulevard (between Liberty and Pauline) on the west side of Ann Arbor. Good food and drinks available at Zal Gaz Grotto. All year long, the Paul Keller Orchestra celebrates its 25th season! Abundant, safe and FREE PARKING. No steps. Come enjoy great big band music and enjoy Ann Arbor's beloved Monday Night big band tradition with PKO.
10-29 (TUE) Plymouth Elks Lodge presents "Jazz at the Elks." This month, the Elks presents the Johnny Trudell Quartet with Johnny on trumpet and flugelhorn, Chuck Shermatero on keyboard, Ray Tini on bass and Bill Cairo on drums. The Plymouth Elks Lodge #1780 in Plymouth has Jazz @ The Elks in a beautiful club setting on the 4th Tuesday of every month from 7-10:30 p.m. There is a $10 donation which includes “more than hors d’oeuvres.” For more information, please call [masked]
or e-mail: [address removed]. The Lodge is located at 41700 Ann Arbor Rd., Plymouth.
55. 10-30 Kris Kurzawa and Ingrid Racine at 6pm at LCH
Mark Kirschenmann: trumpet
Patrick Booth: tenor and soprano sax
Steve Rush: keys
Jonathan Edwards: guitar
Tim Flood: bass
Jeremy Edwards: drums
Dan Piccolo: percussion
11-2 (SAT) PD9/Paradise Valley Walk, Orion Township Public Library Lake Orion, Michigan at 2:00pm http://orionlibrary.org
11-2 Lars Bjorn and Jim Gallert give a talk on Motown and Jazz at MOCAD at 1pm in their Gallery Talk Series…free, but donations are accepted http://tinyurl.com/n6mg4tx
bring some extra cash for their great jazz book too!
11-8 (FRI) Ralph Peterson Unity Organ Project http://www.ralphpetersonmusic.com/
featuring Craig Handy, Josh Evans and new kid on the block, B-3 organist, Jake Sherman…Marc says NTBM! See the attachment above…$30 general admission with doors at 7pm and show at 8pm at the Paul Robeson Theatre at the Detroit Northwest Activities Center…this is the inaugural event of the new Jazz At The Centre curated by Skip Norris who has lined up some HOT, HOT, HOT gigs in the coming months of heavy hitters! (Photos during first song only) tix at http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/485027
18100 Meyers @ Curtis I will have a pre-show dinner someplace before!
i. 11-18 (MON) William Hooker Band at Trinosphes…great avant jazz drummer!
Friday at the DIA…please look at the link for acts scheduled to January and I plan on doing a majority of them! http://www.dia.org/calendar/friday-nights.aspx
(special note…Grand Band on 12-13 is a SIX Piano group…an all-piano sextet doing Modern Classical stuff…have you EVER heard a six piano group before…when might you in the future…don’t miss it!
t. 12-14 (SAT) The Cookers featuring Billy Harper (see “d”)…part of this series…more info to come!
ff. 3-1 Fred Frith at Trinosophes…master avant guitarist
oo. 4-19 Pandelis Karayorgis Quintet with Dave Rempis, Keefe Jackson, Frank Rosaly and Nate McBride at Trinosophes NTBM!
Music Quote of the Week:
“A jazz musician is a combination orator, dialectician, mathematician, athlete, entertainer, poet, singer, dancer, diplomat, educator, student, comedian, artist, seducer, public masturbator, and general all-round good fellow. “
OK…in the next 3 weeks…you have 70 concerts to pick from…come out and support LIVE music! Watch for my special Edgefest email next week…reserve your spots TODAY!
Hope to see you at the show!
Ps…thanks to fellow jazzer Sally Bolle for some of the entries in this newsletter