This group has been created to bring people together that love to sing in both Japanese and English to do Karaoke around New York City. Occasionally, we go to other music and cultural events, such as festivals, street fairs, concerts, etc.
All of our members are at least 21 years of age due to the availability of alcohol in the rooms.
Since our members speak both Japanese and English, or are learning either Japanese or English, our meetups will be bilingual (unless otherwise posted.) We frequently use our meetups as a means of language exchange. Anyone who joins to sing only in English will be removed, as this does not align with the purpose of the group.
Some of our favorite places to sing include: Karaoke Duet 48, Karaoke Duet 35, Japas 27, Japas 38 and Japas 55.
All of our members are encouraged to set up their own karaoke or music related events. Any suggestions are welcome.
Hope to sing with you soon!
1) This is a Japanese-English karaoke group, which means you can sing at least 1 or 2 songs in Japanese. Please do not join if you only want to sing English songs.
2) Please RSVP to the events you attend, or make sure it is okay with the organizer first before coming. This is due to room-size limitations. The organizers reserve the right to deny anyone entry who shows up without notice.
3) Please bring ID with you to all events to prove that you are over 21 years of age.
4) Please go in clockwise order one by one when selecting songs to sing, so everyone has an equal opportunity. This also makes it easy to tell if your song is skipped, in which case you can choose two songs upon your next turn. Please try to locate your song choice before getting the remote to keep it moving along. As soon as you enter your song, please pass the remote directly to the next person, and let them know it is their turn.
5) Please tip the staff at karaoke. If it is a marathon, an extra $2 per person is appropriate. If it is per hour, an extra $1 per person per hour is appropriate.
6) If you leave an event early, please give your payment including tip to the organizer, who will take care of the bill at the end. Please always bring cash with you to make splitting bills and tipping easier.
7) If you RSVP to an event and are a no-show, you are subject to removal from the group. It is understandable if something comes up and you cannot make it, but when this happens, please either email the organizer or change your status on the event page to "not attending."