Main Topic: Joomla!@Scale: Taking Joomla! to the Enterprise with Dante St James
In 2010 we were laughed at when we told others in our industry we wanted to build a digital media business based on an Open Source CMS. In 2014 we are now just over 300 websites, 90% of which are running Joomla! They are now serving 8 million pageviews to nearly 2.5 million unique visitors, generating seven-figure revenues each year. And all this is developed and supported by two people, neither of whom are trained or qualified IT professionals. How did we do it? What did we use? What spectacular failures did we have along the way? And would we do it again given what we know now?
Dante St James is the Operations, Projects & Online Integration Manager at a regional broadcasting, print and digital media company. Since 2010 he's been tasked with a digital media start-up within the company that had no budget for a CMS or development, but has grown to build a very large network of Joomla! websites that service 2.5 million people with 8 million pageviews.
Topic 2: Introduction to No Number ReReplacer component with Matthew Kay.
Mat has been a web developer for nearly 5 years and a Joomla user since 1.6 and will be demonstrating the ReReplacer component for Joomla.
With ReReplacer you can replace whatever you want in your entire site.
It can work on the entire output of your site, so you can also do replacements in things like the meta tags.
Some ideas where you can use ReReplacer for:
• Create your own custom tags ([mytag]some text[/mytag] becomes some text).
• Tweak the output of Joomla! without changing the core joomla or extension files.Filter bad words on your site
• Temporarily hide text from your website, without actually removing it.
• Remove redundant whitespace from your code, making your website load faster.
• Use abbreviations in your content and replace them with the full text (J! becomes Joomla!, COMP becomes My Very Long Company Name®).
• Quickly place whole blocks of text by only typing one word. Like you can use [stats] and replace it with a piece of Google Statistics code.
• Or [footer] to put a fixed bit of text under articles. You can change the replacement in one place (in ReReplacer) and your whole website is updated!
Come and see if ReReplacer can be of use on your site.
This meetup is suitable for beginners and advanced users.
Date and Time:
Tuesday 8th April 2014, 6:00pm-8:30pm
6:00-6:15pm - Meet Up / general chat
6:15-6:30pm - Intro round - introduce yourself, tell us who you are and what you do, and you can ask a quick question of the group.
6:30-7:00pm - Taking Joomla! to the Enterprise with Dante St James
7:00-7:30pm - Introduction to No Number ReReplacer component with Matthew Kay
7:30-8:00pm - Refreshments - pizza & beer ($5 / FREE beer)
8:00-8:30pm General Q&A session & discussion - bring your Joomla questions to ask the group
All welcome, beginners-advanced.