Just Food City Chicken Meetup NYC Message Board Chicken Classifieds › Looking for chick waterer and suggestions for chick bedding

Looking for chick waterer and suggestions for chick bedding

Ellen B.
user 12469538
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 1
Hi Everyone,
Do you have a chick waterer you no longer need? I figured I might as well check here before purchasing one.

Also, suggestions on chick bedding? I have heard conflicting ideas about what to use.

Thanks!
Ellen
Karen
houseofcakes
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 62
Hi,
I don't have a waterer, but I hear if you take a can and a pie plate, you can make one pretty easily.

For chick bedding, I used pine shavings. They were fine. I put paper towels down when I first got them (day-old) so they had some purchase, but then after a couple of days I just used the shavings. Worked fine. I think hay/straw wasn't recommended b/c they can't get a grip (that's where the paper towels come in), but if you chopped it fine, it seems like it would be fine. They didn't need a very thick layer either, maybe an inch or so.

HTH,
K
A former member
Post #: 8
Hi,

I agree with K. I also used paper towels in the beginning. Then I used pine shavings--cedar was not recommended because it can cause irritation, i think. Pine was fine and you don't have to change it too often.

I always improvised with waterers, but it did not really go well--they would step on the little bowls and spill everything so I had to keep refilling. Then I bought a bird waterer at a pet store and is working fine, but they still manage to get the water dirty.

Good luck!

Frida
Karen
houseofcakes
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 63
Yes, I heard the same about cedar--inhalant irritant.

Oh yeah, the dirty water is an exercise in futility. I put the waterer (whatever kind) up on a small block or something so they can reach it but they can't stand in it (about "shoulder" height). They're not the smartest little things :) This is an issue to this day with the adults too. Hanging everything or putting them on blocks about shoulder height keeps it more clean (but still gets dirty). ;D