Martha
marthalazar
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 28
Last night we were enjoying the warm weather by eating out in our garden with some friends. The chickens had gone to roost inside their Eglu, but all of a sudden they clamored out into their run. I thought that was odd, so I walked over to investigate and found myself face to face with a raccoon. This guy wasn't afraid of me in the least. Since I wasn't enough to scare him off, I pulled out my hose and blasted him with it. He climbed over the fence, only to return a minute later. He was climbing on the run and grabbing at my hens.
We hosed him off some more and my husband threw some bricks at him. He wasn't scared at all and the Yankees aren't going to draft my husband. He kept coming back and we kept spraying him with water. He eventually climbed up the side of the building that faces our yard by using the ivy as a ladder.

I'm kind of freaked out and don't know how to get rid of him. I assume he's going to try to get my girls every night now and we won't be in the garden to scare him off. I don't think he can get into the Eglu, but the hens were terrified. Any thoughts on raccoon deterrents? I live right off Smith Street in Cobble Hill, so I'm sure we have raccoons due to all the restaurants. In fact the little guy went over to the juice joint BeQ and rummaged in their trash bags after leaving our yard. Yuk.
Frank
user 10778104
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 1
I live in Park Slope and a neighbor of mine had to give me his surviving hen because a racoon had killed his other two...bummer. Hopefully the animal doesn't cross over to my side of the street and start attacking my 4 hens.

A former member
Post #: 11
Anyone try the marshmallow bomb method (inject marshmallows with hot sauce)?

My coop is inside a 12'x7' chain-link fence dog run (ordered on petco.com) and I added fencing and a tarp to the top so nothing can climb in. I also have solar eyes on each side of the run. I have not had any problems yet. I do let the girls out of the run during the day when I'm around so they can eat the grass, etc. in the yard around their coop.
jason s.
user 10558831
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 5
Call the city and tell them it looked sick and crazy. Raccoons don't live long in the city cars ect. They will trap it if they think it has rabies and a lack of all fear could be just that. I had one come in the house and eat my dog food when I tryed to scare it it came at me!
Karen
houseofcakes
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 68
Hi,
Not sure if you found a solution to your issue, but calling 311 might help. The best thing to do is to trap it and relocate it or to make it impossible for it to get your chickens so that it just goes away (unfortunately shooting it in the city is not an option). They have hands so they can literally pull a chicken through fencing (gross, I know) so keep that in mind. We used to use lights and radios to keep them away. As well, there are these motion sensor water things that you can buy (works for cats too to keep them from using your flower beds as a litter box) and odor repellents/sprays you can try. Raccoons are super smart and just b/c they are not afraid of humans doesn't mean they have rabies--they are just that way and probably more acclimated to people in a city. We had a couple when living in Maine and they were obnoxious!

A neighbor of mine had one kill her hen and so she gave me her other one and I lent her a hav-a-hart trap (I have the "raccoon" size trap for trapping feral cats, just so you know this is a common issue) and she trapped it and moved it to Queens. Not necessarily the best thing as relocation is super stressful, etc. etc. but hell, that was the best thing we could think of.

GL!

K
Martha
marthalazar
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 54
I actually did do the marshmallow bomb and that worked for a while. We haven't seen it in a while thank goodness. The last time we saw it, it was in the run fighting with my Polish. My husband had to fight it off with a baseball bat. He said that the Polish was putting up a very good fight though!