Lennard
user 11560277
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 1
Hi All,
I'm building a coop and chicken run in my backyard. I'm wondering if insulating it is essential in the New York City climate?
Simone M.
user 9418605
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 15
No.. you do not need to insulate the coop but it should be free from drafts , water and you should be able to close it up tight so no predators can get in. You could consider an automatic coop door. An electrical out let nearby is a good idea for the winter so you can use a heater under the water container. And remember some shade in the summer
Karen
houseofcakes
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 47
Hi,
No. Insulating traps moisture which is basically ammonia from their poops and chickens have delicate lungs and they can get all kinds of problems from moist damp air in a coop. Ventilation is important too in the summer, so keep the coop free of drafts as the prev poster stated but well ventilated (a balance :) ). They say to paint it a light color to reflect summer heat as being too hot can be an issue, but do what you can.

However, that doesn't mean you might need a heater. . . I think it depends on the chickens you have. If they are winter hardy (the heritage breeds such as RIR, Plymouth Rocks, New England type of breeds, etc.), then they should be fine. We have RIR/PR and they were fine even with the snowstorms they were not huddling together and kind of seemed oblivious that it was cold. You can put extra straw/chips in the coop if it gets cold and they can use that to keep warm.

Our coop is built out of salvaged wood and has a wood floor with removable coverings over the floor for (relatively) easy shoveling. The run is made out of PVC and chicken wire (we don't have the rodent/critter prob that some people have). I wish the run floor was more than dirt b/c they really like to dig pits and it gets mucky in the rain. In the winter, you may have to shovel out the snow out of the run and/or put straw down after so they can walk around. Our hens don't seem to like to get their feets in the snow! haha.

Good luck! Totally worth it!!

Karen