Designed for local K12 teachers, educators, technology instructors, school administrators, and parents, this monthly meetup will give us the chance of sharing and better understanding the state of technology usage and innovation in local K12 schools in Tippecanoe County and beyond.
K12TECH is the connector for collaborative K12 programs and classroom technologies.
Thursday evening, Jun 12th
Come network about K12 topics on Thursday, June 12th, starting with 7:00 PM, in the Ivy Tech Classroom Style Meeting Space at the newly open MatchBOX Coworking Studio, located at 17 S 6th St, Suite X, in Lafayette.
* 7:00pm K12 networking, meet up, introductions, specifically on technologies used or planned for the next generation K12 classrooms.
* 7:15pm. Asta Balkute, PhD: Project Citizen & iCivics - The Assistant Director for James F. Ackerman Center for Democratic Citizenship at Purdue University will share about their efforts in promoting civic engagement and participation among young adults. The project "Technology Use: Disconnect to Reconnect" was one of the projects that students worked on. Majority of them have graduated already. Project Citizen is a curriculum that empowers elementary and middle school students to discuss and research public policy issues in their community and propose a solution. This way the curriculum is engaging students in community decision making and informs them about the community they live in. There is also a very technological program that they also promote in K12, called iCivics. It is a set of online games that provide knowledge and skills for the civic engagement. Q&A at the end of each presentation.
* 7:45pm. K12 Fireside Chat with Rita Shultz, eLearning Specialist at Lafayette School Corporation - Rita is the lead of the annual eLearning conference "Making waves with eLearning" taking place this year June 17 & 18 at Lafayette Jefferson High School. One of the K12TECH organizers will host the fireside chat and will go through a series of Q&As about what influences the local K12 community, what the trends are in education here locally, who/where/what can help, how is technology used in education, and so many other topics.
* 8:15pm. Introducing K12 IT open table - Getting really geeky with K12 technologies implementation and administration.
If you are:
- A parent believing in next generation education.
- A school teacher or educator or principal.
- A school's network administrator or technology lead.
- A school district leader.
- A daycare or learning center teacher, educator, or owner.
- A home daycare owner.
- A leader of a local group focused on STEM education.
- A home-schooling parent.
Come meet up and share about:
- Education, today.
- Education, tomorrow.
- What do teachers and educators need help and assistance with, in today's technology world and its role in education.
- Integrating technology in schools, daycare and learning centers.
- Understanding educating for business and collaboration.
- Educate for leadership, creativity, innovation, risk taking, collaboration culture, startup era, and tomorrow's world.
* You don't have to be a MatchBOX member to attend this meetup, come join us.