KCMobileCore/Adobe Web Community Message Board › Need a good CFML book/tutorial

Need a good CFML book/tutorial

Scott R.
srarden
Overland Park, KS
Post #: 3
After looking at the Mura CMS and getting some hosting space that can also do ColdFusion, thought I might play around with CFML in my spare time - can anyone recommend a good book or online tutorials (preferably not video) for getting started?

I'm more a designer/html/css/jquery person than a programmer, but I pretended to be a Perl programmer for a year, can find my way around in PHP, and I can grok things like MVC.

Oh - and I don't have any of the gee whiz bang Adobe software like Builder, etc., so books/tuts that teach it in a 'do this and then that in such and so Adobe program' wouldn't be too helpful. I would like to have that software, but even the subscription packages are a bit out of my league at the moment.

Thanks for any pointers!

Scott Rarden
Bill F.
user 24096942
Kansas City, MO
Post #: 2
First, I would recommend getting a CFML editor. Learning the correct syntax can be sin-taxing using notepad. :)

A good place to start, imho, is getting Eclipse and the CFEclipse plugin (http://cfeclipse.org...­)

Adobe has a wonderful site for learning CFML. From your first application to detailed API references. Explore http://www.adobe.com/...­

Anywhere it says to do such and such in ColdFusion Builder or Dreamweaver...just replace that with CFEclipse...in most cases.

Best part about it...it is FREE...plus you can download ColdFusion 9 server and install it locally on your system with a free developer license...so you don't even have to go through the pains of developing remotely.