CANCELLED Paddle Quivett Creek from Paines Beach, Brewster

 

 

READ COMMENT BELOW...CAN YOU DO THIS PADDLE LATER IN THE WEEK???

This will be our second of three Quivett Creek paddles after Labor Day, when Brewster stickers are no longer required for parking. 

We'll launch at 10:00 AM, because high tide in Barnstable and Sesuit Harbors is about 10:20 AM.  

As of July 30, when this is being posted, we'll plan to launch from Paines Creek Beach. If parking there is not possible, we'll launch from Mantz Landing. From either launch, we'll hug the shore going west to the mouth of Quivett Creek.  As we make our way up this wonderful creek, we'll be surrounded by extensive marsh.

Even though the vast majority of the paddle is in protected water in the marsh, the paddle from the launch to the marsh is wide open. If the wind is out of the north, then kayaks are pushed in toward land and water is splashed over the side of the kayak.  (for us non-sea kayakers, who paddle without a skirt.) If wind is out of the east, it can be difficult to get back to the launch.

LIKE ALL OUR PADDLES, THIS PADDLE IS ONLY FOR EXPERIENCED AND ENERGETIC PEOPLE. YOU MUST HAVE EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE BEFORE PADDLING WITH US.  No guests on paddles.

DIRECTIONS: From US 6, take exit 9 and go north on Rt 134 to Rt 6A. Go right on 6A and drive east for 2.75 miles...bear left at a fork onto Lower Rd.  Drive 0.2 mile and turn left onto Paines Creek Rd and go about 0.7 mile to the parking lot.

We launch PRIOR to the rocks, on the left...there is a  small, paved, downward sloping ramp to the water that is not obvious as you approach it.

If there is NO wind and if many people sign up for this paddle, the launch location can be switched to Mants Landing, that has a large parking lot. Parking at Paines Creek is very limited.

Make sure I can contact you in case weather forces cancellation.

Join or login to comment.

  • Gregg M

    Unable to go on Friday. Hopefully catch up another time!

    September 21

  • Joyce

    We were at Sesuit Harbor this morning at 10:00 (about 1.5miles west of Quivett Creek)....winds blowing strong with little white caps, but it got more calm as the morning progressed.

    Have only heard from Jim and Sue about wanting to postpone this paddle to Friday, so will do that.

    I will remove the RSVPs, so you will have to sign up again for Friday if you want to go then. Fingers crossed for good weather on Friday.

    September 21

  • Sue

    Constant wind gusts of 20mph are over my limit. Completely understand and agree with canceling the paddle today. Jim and I would be available if the paddle could be rescheduled for Friday.

    September 21

  • Joyce

    The forecast has changed. As of 6:00 AM, the NWS forecast for Brewster is: "Scattered showers, mainly after 10am. Patchy fog between 8am and 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 73. South wind 8 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. "

    The hourly Brewster forecast shows NO chance of lightning, but shows constant wind gusts of 20 mph from 7:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Most of us do not have a skirt for our kayaks and wind of even less than 20 mph causes waves in the bay to push water over and into the kayak. It's dangerous for non-sea kayakers to paddle in those conditions, so sadly, prudence dictates that the paddle has to be cancelled. (and forget about what I wrote at 8:15 last night re folks contacting each other to paddle even if I don't go....unless you are seasoned sea-kayakers with skirts) Please let me know if you can paddle on Wed, Thurs,, or Fri with a later launch (water levels in the stream btw launch and bay drop way down)

    September 21

  • Joyce

    8:15 PM.....hourly forecast remains the same The chance of rain at 10:00 AM is still 60%, but is only ? 57% at 11:00 AM : ) Does not look promising.

    Will post before 7:00 AM tomorrow morning whether there will be a paddle. Even if I do not go, if some of you wanted to contact each other via this posting, you could still go on your own.

    September 20

  • Joyce

    7:00 PM. Johanne and Joan have dropped out. Bob has signed up. The forecast is the same = 60 % chance of rain, foggy and small chance of lightning during our paddle time. It does not look good.
    The NWS has gusts at 20 mph at 1:00....kind of close to our noon return time.

    Let's leave it until tomorrow morning. I'll post and email before 7:00 AM when we see if the forecast has improved, especially concerning lightning. Post any thoughts here or shoot me an email.
    Thanks.

    September 20

  • Joyce

    Parking is fine at Paines Creek...3 additional places added since the fall.
    The weather is iffy. At 4:45 PM on Saturday, the NWS hourly forecast shows a 60% chance of rain during our paddle time and a "slight chance" of lightning, but no wind. We will need to watch the lightning prediction as the day progresses....will post again tonight. Make sure you check your email or this site before tomorrow morning. It is supposed to be foggy, but warm between 10:00 and noon...and did I mention the lightning thing????

    September 20

6 went

Imagine having a community behind you

Get started Learn more
Rafaël

We just grab a coffee and speak French. Some people have been coming every week for months... it creates a kind of warmth to the group.

Rafaël, started French Conversation Group

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy