LA Clojure Study Group Message Board › RFC Clojure Study Group Structure

RFC Clojure Study Group Structure

Andrew C.
user 10908018
Minneapolis, MN
Hey guys, thanks for joining the LA Clojure Study Group. While we don't have any meetups scheduled yet i want to inform you all about what we're planning for in the future.

LA already has a fantastic Clojure users' group (I'll see you all there on thursday!), but our aim as a study group is to be a relatively quiet, focused place where people can come to learn, collaborate, and work.

Structure

Once we have a venue lined up, our initial goals are to:

• have meetups every 2 weeks at a regular location on a weeknight for ~ 3hrs
  • be fully asynchronous, you should be able to miss events and not feel left behind
  • be a focused distraction free environment, the emphasis should really be on learning / hacking
  • target any skill level, there's always stuff to study and learn
  • have a focus on pairing and small groups for learning
  • have experienced people be on hand to help newer people
  • work on the creation of new Clojure learning resources (small projects) for people to work on

Venue

We're currently actively scouting venues, if you have a recommendation hit me back at andrew@andrewvc.com

If you have any feedback please respond to this thread, or to me directly!
A former member
Post #: 3
What do we need at the venue? Are we talking a small place to start? We might only need a few computers to start.

*I* will personally need a computer to use because I do not own a laptop.

I assume I'm the only one that doesn't have a laptop.

So what sort of places are we looking for? StarBucks? Internet Cafes? Libraries? Community Business Centers? Schools?

Or are we hoping someone offers up some personal space at their business.

I mean, would just a small room with an internet connection be enough?