Louisville Area Canoe & Kayak Group Message Board For Sale & Trade › I am looking to buy a Canoe...

I am looking to buy a Canoe...

Brandon C.
user 121795042
Louisville, KY
Post #: 1
Hi Everyone!

I have zero experience with Canoes or Kayaks. My fiance really wants an aluminum canoe for Christmas. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. A used canoe for a reasonable price would be perfect. Any and all advice is welcome.

Brad K
user 10093330
Pekin, IN
Post #: 39
Cave Country Canoes in Miltown Indiana sells some of their used canoes and kayaks every year. Call 812-365-2705 for more information. That phone number is for the Marengo Cave, they are owned by the same people.

Pat c.
user 91015642
Louisville, KY
Post #: 1
Don't do it. Aluminum canoes have some advantages; they're strong, durable, light, and don't require indoor storage - but they are also noisy, horribly hot in summer & cold in winter. Aluminum boats have a keel, so if you and your fiance will be paddling downstream with riffles or rapids, you will hate that. Keels are great for tracking straight on deep flat water, but they are grabby in shallow streams, and worse they greatly inhibit maneuverability. If you can store indoors, I'd suggest a Royalex or 3-layer poly type material from Old Town, Mohawk, or Mad River. Fiberglass is also nice. Kevlar is pricey but very light. I'm pretty sure that if you buy the aluminum boat, that you'll be shopping for a different one within a year. I've paddled a lot of canoes, and owned a half-dozen or so of them and my favorite is my Old Town Tripper. Get one of those if you can find one. It's big, but surprisingly maneuverable.
David M.
user 18824861
Brandenburg, KY
Post #: 30
I follow the advice of a seasoned paddler. Determine what type of water you will paddle - lakes, wide rivers, white water, creeks, big water (oceans). Skill level of primary and secondary paddlers. Hauling needs - gear, third persons. Weight and length of boat - how much can you carry and haul on a vehicle. A fiberglass boat is light - fiberglass breaks when it hits rocks, Poly plastic is strong/durable and heavy, Royalex is strong/durable and lighter than plastic but expensive. All that said, the most expensive boat is the one you pay a small amount for like $250 and only use once or twice ($250 divided by 2 uses = $125 per use). Verses a boat you pay $1,000 for and use 50 times ($1,000 divided by 50 = $20 per use). Last word of wisdom - purchase a boat only after paddling it - the boat needs to fit you. Best wishes.