Louisville Area Canoe & Kayak Group Message Board Main Forum › 14 Mile Creek Access

14 Mile Creek Access

Alan J.
user 95672402
Louisville, KY
Post #: 11
Is there a good place to launch into 14 Mile Creek? I know there is the Charlestown Park but do not know if they have launch access and/ or if there is a fee to launch. I thought there might be somewhere to launch upstream on 14 where it intersects Highway 62. Any help or information is appreciated.
Chuck C.
chuckc1971
Louisville, KY
Post #: 20
You can launch fairly easily from the Charlestown Boat Ramp. The mouth of the creek is just a bit upstream, maybe between 1/2-3/4 mile. If you don't mind a walk, I launched next to the bridge which is nice when the wind is up on the river. The problem is that hill to and fro is steep (albeit paved). Where 14 mile creek crosses Hwy 62, the water can be pretty shallow. There is an iron bridge you go under almost to Hwy 62, but I have no idea how to get to it by land.

I believe there is an entrance fee most of the year to get into the Park, but it's often not manned in the winter.
Alan J.
user 95672402
Louisville, KY
Post #: 12
Thanks Chuck. When you mention the bridge, I assume you mean the "new" bridge across 14 just up from the mouth of the creek that was installed a few years ago. Is that correct? I fished under it this summer but wasn't paying any attention and didn't realize there was even a path down to the creek, much less paved. If that is the area, you are correct. It is very steep but at least gets one into the creek without the wind on the river at times. Again thanks.
Chuck C.
chuckc1971
Louisville, KY
Post #: 21
That is the bridge I am talking about. There are paths to the creek, but it's easy to gain creekside access from the main paved path the bridge in question lies on. You can't drive down the paved path, so it would quite a trip to carry a canoe/kayak all the way down there. Even carrying my 25lb paddleboard was a chore!
Thom M.
T.McLean
New Albany, IN
Post #: 87
Ugh... the bridge to nowhere. I think one of the dumbest decisions made by the Park was to make the paved "trail" down to the bridge inaccessible by car. Widening the "road" would have allowed cars to drive down and park on the other side of the bridge and a simple gravel/paved path to a small dock would have allowed many, many more people to use the area for fishing, paddling, and hiking without having to hire a Sherpa to schlep your gear down the steep, switch-back paved trail.
Jim K
user 9599326
Louisville, KY
Post #: 675
Folks...the local park folks had nothing to do with that 2 million dollar bridge.
That's what the superintendent (cute gal) said when I paddled up there when they built it .
Was a bridge carpenter for 3 years and am by nature curious...what's that?...how do you?...etc...;)
When was staying in Charelstown was on to the park folks about not having primitive campgrounds....They said there was no budget for the same. Those folks at the gate make not much on the hour.
Would be fun to see someone take that bridge to no-where to task...and follow the money to find what putz in Indiana authorized it's moving. I believe it was a historic rehab...which means there is probably federal money....our taxes involved.
Alan J.
user 95672402
Louisville, KY
Post #: 14
The creek is excellent and I am assuming the park is as well.

I am a bit surprised that a park which incorporates a major creek as one of its primary features doesn't put forth any effort to make the creek more accessible.

Oh well, they didn't ask for my opinion. :)