LA Robotics Club Message Board › Free AI Robotic Self Driving Car Class

Free AI Robotic Self Driving Car Class

Bob M
Sherman Oaks, CA
Post #: 6
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
02/27/12 - A much belated note.
I see Annika has a weekly 'programming a robotic car' meetup for this course to exchange info online. My cheap-o DSL service is way too slow for google+ or skype to participate, but it would be a great way to exchange info and ideas. When I log onto LA Robotics in the future, I will check to see if I'm repeating info!

The same fellow who taught much of the Stanford 'Introduction to AI' class has an additional class he is offering in writing the code (and I assume a description of the hardware required) for a self-driving automobile ( CS-373 ).

Prof Sebastian Thrun knows this subject maybe better then anyone on Earth at the moment. He, and the team from Stanford, won the DARPA challenge a few years ago for a self driving Volkswagen that completed an obstacle course in the Mohave Desert. He's also involved in the self-driving Google Maps cars that have logged in over 200K miles (probably before being banned from public roads).

The 7 week class is competitively priced at $0 and does not rely upon any prior classes, but does require some ability to program. Python will be used for the class work.
Here is the link I received via email:

www.udacity.com

A word of warning - The Explorer8 browser did not display the above website correctly, but it worked fine with the Google Chrome browser. Don't know why.
Alex56782
user 17722901
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 18
Send an Email Post a Greeting
yeah, I got one too....neat

for those of you guys who are interested in some old papers from 2007s DARPA Challenge vehicle... see this pdf

www.stanford.edu/~jmayer/papers/darpa0­7.pdf

for its day, they used 2core processors technology.
Alex56782
user 17722901
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 19
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Just adding some food for thought....

see what Microsoft been up to in the Automotive industry.

a last year video on a 2011 Ford Fiesta

http://blog.maordavid...­

and Microsoft Automotive SDK

http://www.microsoft....­
Bob M
Sherman Oaks, CA
Post #: 7
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
Thanks for posting the links. There are way more resources available on self driving vehicles then I'd thought.

Moving back 1 level on that 1st URL you posted, there are more articles about a smaller backyard self driving vehicle:

www.stanford.edu/~jmayer/papers/
Uh, along with several unrelated papers to sort through.

When I'd 1st looked at AI, driving a car seemed like a long shot to ever be done - except maybe at low speed, on private roads and with a human co-pilot. I think there are some real issues in having robotic vehicles on public roads in the near future. It is easy though to imagine self driving forest fire fighting equipment, mining vehicles, private land perimeter security patol, etc. within a decade.
A former member
Post #: 1
This is sweet...