addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

LA Robotics Club Message Board › Sumo Rat (Kitten) Battle (Maybe)

Sumo Rat (Kitten) Battle (Maybe)

Tim L.
Tim_Laren
Granada Hills, CA
Post #: 24
I was at the 99 (99 cent only store) the other day and they had hundreds of "FURREAL FRIENDS FURRY FRENZIES" toys right by the front door. I picked up a few because if nothing else I figured the dogs would like chasing them around. I was wrong, one sniff and back to sleep.
Well next was play doctor, get out the screwdriver and see what makes them tick (or run). Inside is a single motor and transmission on a single axle to both wheels. When it reverses it turns, forward is straight. They turn by raising one wheel off the table (floor). There is a logic board with a tar ball processor and an 8 pin motor driver. There are other parts but nothing important to me. Two switches are part of the board and a speaker mounted on top.
Well an hour or so later I removed the motor driver and installed an Arduino Pro Mini and a piece of perf board with the motor driver IC. I was able to move forward and back with a few programming steps.
Thinking, "What can I do?", Run forward and retreat turning. Add some sensors to seek out or avoid and I think I have a very low cost Sumo Rat.
Set some rules and it would make a low cost, easy to build, few hour, build and battle meetup. We are talking about under $20 and lots of fun, and innovation. Innovation is required because these rats (oops Kittens) are pretty stupid, and we are going to remove their brains.
Just an idea: If anyone else is interested, hit your local 99 and see if they have them, pick one or two up and let me know. I'll share pictures and whatever I have done with whoever.
Tim
Michael B.
mlbelanger
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 5
Hey Tim, can you post a pic of the toy in question in case anyone wants to go hunting?