Raceway woods is a historical location to these parts! Once named the Meadowdale International Raceway, this tract of land was built upon as a local recreational attraction back in 1958. Due to poor road quality and saftey issues, as well as unhappy dust-covered crowds, the raceway never quite took off. After failed attempts to make the raceway acceptable in terms of car racing, there followed many years that is was sporadically used for motorcycle racing and kart racing. Eventually, in 1994, Dundee township and local Forest Preserve Districts took a new look at the property and determined to purchase the land and develop it into a forested preserve. They have maintained much of the original track as walking and riding trails, and allowed, with the help of volunteers and stewards the natural area to redevelop into a savanna at the center of the track, along with mesic woodland, and pocket seeps that trickle water into the creek that flows through.
Join us as we go on a hike through the beautiful, historical, pristine setting!