Lafayette Game Night Message Board › Kickstarting Projects

Kickstarting Projects

Ryan F.
user 65325702
Lafayette, IN
Post #: 17
Hey everyone! I've never contributed to a Kickstarter but I've been thinking about it recently. I'm thinking about Kickstarting Myth. It looks really sweet and the publishers are located in Indy.

Those of you who have Kickstarted something before, has it been a good experience for you? One worry I have is backing it and, since I won't get anything until next year, I'll lose interest and not want it or something. Maybe I just have to bite the bullet and go for it.
Kevin M.
user 47169582
Lafayette, IN
Post #: 40
Hey Ryan,
My first game I Kickstarted was the Enhanced Edition for Sentinels of the Multiverse and the 2nd expansion - it was something I was going to buy anyway, so I just looked at it as me pre-ordering the game. Plus there were some stretch goals that I really wanted. It is always nice getting free or promo stuff.

The release date and GenCon 2012 matched up perfectly and I was able to stop by the Greater Than Games booth and pick up the and all of the stretch goals. The experience was pretty good.

For me, the stretch goals really pull me in. To this day I am kicking myself for not getting in on the Zombicide Kickstarter - everything is selling for $300+ now on ebay. But that is a rare case I think.

If it is a game or a company that you want to support and you trust the company then I feel as though it is very safe way to buy the game. As a side note - if you see a Kickstarter game from local (I would consider Indy, local) designer, let me know. Most designers love to show off their game and we could invite them to our game night.
Brian B.
Eykir
Lafayette, IN
Post #: 9
I have kickstarted 60 projects to date, received half of them so far, and not been disappointed by any of them. The one big thing about kickstarter is time. You are contributing to something now to get something in the future. If the idea of having to wait months for the item you are kickstarting doesn't appeal to you, I would recommend not doing it. Also add a few months to whatever timeframe the reward says, because few kickstarters come in on time, and only one (Sentinels: Shattered Timelines) came two months early.

That being said, depending on the kickstarter, you can get bonuses that you couldn't get otherwise, and you're almost guaranteed to get the item in the future. Right now, you're looking at January 2014 (I hope the 2015 is a typo), give or take a few months, so probably closer to March-April 2014. Losing interest is always a possibility; I do have several that are over a year old. Good kickstarters will keep updates flowing out though to give you a constant reminder that "Hey, this is happening". I also prefer to look at it as "UPS just said a package is being delivered to me? It's Christmastime!"
Jeff M.
user 11564396
Group Organizer
Lafayette, IN
Post #: 27
Well thanks Ryan, you just made me spend $100. This is why I need to stay off of Kickstarter...
Ryan F.
user 65325702
Lafayette, IN
Post #: 18
Good thoughts Kevin and Brian! Thanks for your help. I think I got over the time issue, now its an issue of not knowing the full mechanics of the game that bug me. I messaged Myth to see if they had a digital copy or at least a rough outline of what the basic rules/mechanics are and the only response I got was "Nope." Now I'm afraid of getting the game and it not having very cohesive rules, making a game that looks awesome into something I'd never play. *Sigh* Looks like I'll never be satisfied.

Jeff, I'm glad I could help in the slow deterioration of your checkbook. Think of the bright-side, you are getting a TON of cool stuff for the $100!
Jeff M.
user 11564396
Group Organizer
Lafayette, IN
Post #: 28
It's not as slow as you might think Ryan. Plus I just saw all of the additional things you can add on as well. The good news is that this is like a Christmas present to myself since it *should* be delivered in January!
Ryan F.
user 65325702
Lafayette, IN
Post #: 19
Well, I pulled the trigger on backing MYTH. Y'all convinced me :) now I play the waiting game :)
Kevin M.
user 47169582
Lafayette, IN
Post #: 41
You will have to keep us posted Ryan. I did not have the funds to be able to back it but it looks fun. Will be looking forward to trying it out when you get it!