Do you like learning languages? Well, so do a lot of people in Brussels!
Let's have a cup of coffee or tea and practice our languages together
in a comfortable and above all safe environment.
Language Café is not for everybody.
Language Café is a a compact group of people who like helping each other with their languages.
Language Café aims at being the friendliest group on Meetup, not the largest.
We do our best to avoid becoming a group of anonymous profiles.
This is how it works.
All members must meet the following requirements. If you do not comply with the following requirements, your membership application will be declined or removed.
- You must have a clear picture of yourself with your face clearly visible and no other people in the picture.
No sun glasses, big scarf, big hats, or anything that partially hides your face.
No group pictures.
No photos in the distance.
No photoshopping or artistic renditions.
You must have a clear picture of yourself with your face clearly visible and no other people in the picture or your membership will be declined.
These photos will be approved:
This type of photo will be rejected:
- You must complete the Introduction in your Profile.
Tell at least three things about yourself.
"Hi", "My name is John", or "I want to learn French" is not an introduction.
For instance, tell us:
Your hobbies (apart from languages)
Where you like to go in your free time
Your favourite sport
If you do not, your membership application will be declined or removed.
Please notice that Meetup has recently changed the membership application workflow and you cannot enter your Introduction while you apply for membership.
You must complete the Introduction in your Language Café Profile during the next 7 days or your membership will be removed.
- You must fully answer all Profile Questions.
You must fully answer the Profile Questions, or your membership application will be declined.
Your membership is removed and you are banned from the Language Café if:
- You display a behavior in public not in keeping with the purposes and principles of the Language Café.
- You send an email to the Organizers or other members not in keeping with the purposes and principles of the Language Café.
- You display discrimination against or harassment of any other member because of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression.
- Language Café can only operate thanks to the Organizers and Event Hosts' time and effort. The Organizers and Event Hosts organize the event, schedule the Language Tables, arrange and clean the premises before and after the event, prepare the refreshments, make sure that emails are replied to, and much more. If you behave or email statements that disrespect, abuse or harass the Organizers and/or Event Hosts, your membership will be removed and you will be banned from the Language Café.
- Language Café can only operate if its members share their language skills by hosting a Language Table and helping other members learn their native and fluent languages. If you are not willing to share your language skills or you effectively do not do so, your membership will be removed and you will be banned from the Language Café.
If you are banned you cannot join either the Language Café and or its affiliated groups again.
Language Café Meetups
Language Café Meetups last approximately 2 hours.
They have 3 Sessions of 40 minutes each.
Language Tables are organized for each session, depending on the availability of our Language Table Hosts.
Each Language Table:
- lasts approximately 40 minutes
- has a Language Table Host, who is a native or fluent speaker for that language
- has a maximum of 4 Learners
A Language Table Host would typically:
- host a language table for approximately 40 minutes.
- talk in one of his/her own native or fluent languages
- listen to the other linguists at his/her language table
- occasionally correct them or advise them
We look forward to welcoming you to our Language Café! :)