July 26, 2014 · 12:00 PM
Many of you have asked for help moving forward from code lessons, like code academy, or code school. You want to know how to run your code on a server, and that means you need to setup a server, install libraries, install RSA keys, and your code. Perhaps this is all a bit overwhelming to you. I will guide you through it in a four hour session. I'll guide you to:
1. Signup for an Amazon [the same Amazon that sells shoes and music :)] Web Services (free account), using Chef and OpsWorks (Don't worry if you've never heard of these, they make life much easier)
2. Create a virtual server in the Amazon AWS cloud,
3. Point a domain name to that server, i.e. www.myawesomesite.com (Bring your credit card or DNS registration)
4. SSH into that server (using the command line)
5. Design a simple website
6. Download/Install your code on the server
7. Configure the firewall to allow web traffic
8. Start your server/code/website
This is a vital guide if you actually plan to deploy your work to the world.
Check me out at on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brpjohnson
and Sign up today!