addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

SlateStarCodex-LessWrong Toronto Message Board › Topic suggestions

Topic suggestions

Steve D.
user 40707392
Toronto, ON
Post #: 1
Post your topic suggestions here!
mj
user 146818252
Toronto, ON
Post #: 1
Hey Steve,

I'm not sure if this has already been covered at a previous meetup, or if it's even suitable, but I want to suggest that we have a session centered around Bayesian reasoning, specifically, practical usage in daily life.

I've been trying to "steep" my brain in Bayes' theorem recently, and though the classic infectious disease percentages type of examples are useful, I'm interested in how people are using this way of thinking in daily life.

Things I'd be interested in discussing:
- general discussion of Bayes' theorem and implications
- personal accounts of how people got introduced to it and how they incorporated it into their way of thinking for the long-term
- usage examples in statistical analysis and assessing likelihoods
- practical examples of Bayesian reasoning to changes one's own mind or others'
- pro-tips
- (possibly) group exercises to strengthen the learning and applicability of the ideas discussed

There are a few good posts on lesswrong attempting to explain Bayes theorem using various approaches and analogies, but I'll give this short video as a simple example of what I'm looking for more of:
http://youtu.be/za7Rq...­

Thanks for considering,
MJ