~ Take A Hike ~ Message Board › Pedaler's Jamboree 2014

Pedaler's Jamboree 2014

A former member
Post #: 12
This will be my third year. I'm one of the PJ volunteers and will be working at the check in for a little bit Sat morning, then helping serve at the pancake breakfast. I'm also leading a meetup with the Mid MO Christian Singles for this.

Some of the things that comes in very handy is spare toilet paper and sunscreen.
I carry my food for the day, which is mostly fruit, nuts, and protein bars. Previously they have not allowed fires at the campsite, so Sat evening I like to have supper at the buffet at the Isle of Capri and there is a coupon in the PJ booklet that everyone should receive in there packet.

Near the last third of the ride, when you get to the train tunnel, be sure to have plenty of water and be rested before going further. I prefer at least 3 bottles or my camel back to be full at this point. After the tunnel, there is a 10 mile stretch, that may not have any shade trees, water, or places to rest. There is nowhere to sit, unless you find a little driveway or something, since poison ivy covers most of the ground up to the edges of the trail.
Wayne G.
user 13933588
Springfield, MO
Post #: 8
Good point on the poison ivy Kat. Can't count how many I've seen sitting or laying down in it along the trail. Leaves of three...leave them be.
Wayne G.
user 13933588
Springfield, MO
Post #: 9
Last tip for this year.

Riding in congested traffic: the trail, particularly from the Columbia on the MKT connector to Hindman Junction, and then along to Booneville will be filled with riders, walkers and runners. In addition, the annual GoGirlRun happens along the MKT early with several hundred women running and walking. I rode through them last year because I had an early start. Extreme caution must be used to avoid crashes. Keep in mind that many don't normally ride nor know how to ride in groups. Expect the unexpected and predict the unpredictable.
1. Ride to the right, pass to the left. Use a bell and/or give a warning when passing; " On your left." Many will have earbuds in and music on and won't hear you. Leave the iPod off and wait for the stops to listen to music.
2. Leave a safe stopping distance between you and the rider in front of you. Be prepared for sudden stops.
3. Be aware of the riders behind you and don't make a sudden stop. Pull to the right as far as possible when stopping and don't block the trail.
4. When riding two abreast, go to single file when meeting someone from the other direction or when being passed. The outside rider should slow and pull in behind the inside rider to avoid clipping a wheel.
5. Relax and take it slow in a pack. This is an all day ride and you have all day to reach Booneville. Save the speed and sprints for when traffic clears.
6. When all else fails, a spare tube doubles as a sling or tourniquet. (Thought I would throw that in there.)
Have fun, I look forward to seeing you. I will be coming from the other direction and joining up with the ride at Catfish Katy's. See you there.