The Society of Libertarian Entrepreneurs (Los Angeles) Message Board › SoLE's 2 year anniversary!

SoLE's 2 year anniversary!

Thomas V.
user 11027597
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Many of you will likely be mad at me and leave the group after you read this message. So I want to start off by saying that this is not meant to offend or hurt anyone.  A very unique group of people started this meetup 2 years ago and while it has been great to see the group grow, it is time to clarify the unique and specific vision of the group.

***Group Manifesto***

This meetup is an opportunity for like-minds to find each other, hang out, network and share ideas.

These meetups ARE for you if:

you believe reason is man's primary tool for survival

you believe ideas like religion and statism are silly

you are well versed in the austrian school of economics

you are healthy

you are financially responsible

you enjoy the pursuit of knowledge

you enjoy applying your knowledge and labor to provide value to the free market (as an employee, business owner, or investor)

you understand and live by the absolute morality of non-aggression

These meetups are NOT for you if:

you have not read For a New Liberty, by Murray Rothbard*

you have not read other books my Rothbard or other austrian economists

you think political advocacy has merit

you haven't heard of fractional reserve banking

you are un-employed

you believe in god or religion

If you are not sure if you are "welcome", by all means, please error on the side of attending a meeting

- you will not find a nicer group of people.

*Free audio and digital versions of the book "For a New Liberty" can be found at the link below,

http://mises.org/medi...­
Michael
leidenhoven
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 1
Hi Tom,

I was surprised to read your note to members, and just wanted to offer a few comments.

First, I appreciate all that you and fellow organizers of this group have done for those of us who value liberty. I know it takes an investment of time and energy to keep this group going. You’ve organized some great events, with terrific speakers. You’ve offered a great venue for like-minded people to gather, discuss, socialize, etc. While I haven’t attended an event this year, I have valued those meetings that I’ve attended.

I was surprised with your recent note because it appears that you’re now asking attendees to adhere to a belief system that goes beyond, and one could argue contradicts, the cause of liberty. Of course, we all believe in and value free association, so you’re welcome to limit the group as you please, but it seems contrary to your interest, and the cause of liberty.

Furthermore, I was previously unaware (and this may be due to my inattention to detail) that you had such strict criteria, a creed really, on what members must believe. The closest I could find on the site to the group’s purpose is stated on the “Pages” tab of the group’s site (pasted at bottom) – this, I assumed, was the purpose of the group.

I’m not sure why you’d want to limit your group to atheists, as you’ve excluded most libertarians. It seems bizarre to have a religious test for membership (no Jews, Christians, Muslims, etc. allowed); it appears that you won’t even tolerate agnostics as attendees at meetings.

I’m not sure why you’d want to exclude the unemployed as many of the most successful entrepreneurs have either never been employed per se, or have suffered severe set-backs (including unemployment, bankruptcy, etc.).

Have you applied these strict conditions on your speakers? Are they first asked if they reject any belief in God? Clearly, Ron Paul won’t be invited to speak, as he’s not only a Christian, but presumably believes political advocacy has merit, considering his use of the political process to advance the cause of liberty. I’m not sure that any of us will ever contribute as much to the cause as he has.

Those of us who appreciate, value, and advocate for liberty should welcome all those who sincerely want to learn more, educate, and advance the cause for liberty.

Possibly you’ve announced these conditions of attendance at previous meetings that I’ve missed. If you seriously want to exclude those who don’t accept the creed you’ve set forth below, it may help, for the sake of clarity, to rename this group, “The Society of Atheist Libertarian Entrepreneurs (Los Angeles).”

I do thank you for all your efforts on behalf of liberty. It seems to me that the best way to promote a cause is to invite as many who agree with us to join - but I respect and defend your right to limit membership to this group as you please.

Kind Regards,

Michael Burny

The Society of Libertarian Entrepreneurs (Los Angeles) Pages

Libertarians live by a very simple code, the respect of property rights, and thus the non-aggression axiom.

Because civilization, wealth and security are built on social cooperation and because social cooperation is made possible by the clear delineation and respect of property rights - property rights are sacred to us because we value life, prosperity, security and justice.

Entrepreneurs are the highly creative and energetic members of society always innovating and adapting the changes in the world.

The Society of Libertarian Entrepreneurs of Los Angeles is a forum for people to enjoy and benefit from the moral and tangible support of like-minded people.