|Sent on:||Saturday, November 2, 2013 5:00 PM|
The end is nigh...!
Our group's mentor, Peter Boghossian, has his book ‘A Manual for Creating Atheists’ coming out in the UK in a couple of days. Then we can really start our inoculations against the Faith Virus…
(You have until Nov 4th to get 20% off from Amazon : LINK)
To mark this event, our MONTHLY COMPETITION is:
1/ Hitch had the ‘Hitch Slap’,
PETER BOGHOSSIAN has what? (Not a slap, but what would be appropriate to describe the PB method?)
(Peter is a member, so may agree to choose the winner himself )
(You can also get extra points for thinking up what describes the method of Dawkins, Randi, Carroll, Harris ... )
2/ Our ‘Cod Lyrics’ competition is also still live (change the words of hymns to something more ‘suitable’ ;-))
UPCOMING MEETUPS & EVENTS:
• L.A.A.G Discussion event: Tues Oct 9th: HUMANISM; A Brief Tour For Atheists.
(“The use, misuse and abuse of the basic terms of atheism, and its extensions” ) Our group discussion will explore if atheists should look to humanism (whatever it is!) can provide an ethical outlook on life for individuals and society. We'll also question about the use of the term itself E.g. Why do some that identify as humanist deny they're atheists? Is there a (meaningful) definition for humanism? As regulars know, these events are usually busy - there are only a few places left: RSVP)
• This year, Celebrate Reason (with a bit of LAAG irreverence of course;-)) at our X-myarse Social Celebration (Friday Dec 13th of course!) : RSVP HERE. (NEW MEMBERS - welcome to the group! .. you'll be warmly included (the natives are friendly ;-)), so do join in these events without 'fear', this one is likely to be a hoot! :-))
LAAGers' welcome you...get it? Oh please yourselves... :-)
Don't know how? Worry not - we’ve set up a permanent reference guide - it'll give you (quick and easy!) step-by-step help on how to take part in our frank and vivacious online debates (e.g how to post pics etc): LINK (If you need any further help, feel free to email Georgi)
Here are just a few of the discussions you can join in with this month (YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN OR SOME MEMBERS-ONY FORUMS WILL NOT BE VISIBLE):
• Main Forum: You can't be an atheist if you see awe and wonder!
• Reference Forum: check out Jason's link near the bottom - Peter Boghossian on "authenticity" - It's a great talk about making relationships more meaningful too!
• Islam forum: Why women can't drive in Saudi
• 'Any Subject' Forum: Reasons to be Cheerful
• Humour Forum : Come out Trekkies ( and take the Quiz!)
• Campaigns Forum: Some new campaigns/petitions
Please don’t be intimidated to join in with meetups or in the forum, as whilst we encourage frank discussion, we also aim to be a friendly and constructive group.
Hopefully you can make it along to an event sometime, but please don't be discouraged if you can't participate, as even silent membership is helpful …you’re giving constructive atheism & rationalism a stronger voice just by being part of the group :-). But we do have events to suit almost all tastes and social events are a good way to get to know people - the NEW MEMBERS event had a great response, as have our end-of-month Sunday 'VICE' socials ;-) ...more events are on the board.
Thanks all, for your participation/membership/activism, & good humour as always.
Have a great month, (all feedback always welcome)
London Atheist Activist Group (L.A.A.G) Organisers Team
(P.S. Though we are conscious not to email you unnecessarily frequently, Meetup.com does send some emails and notices by default -TO TURN OFF EMAILS, click on ACCOUNTS very top right, then set 'emails and notifications' as suits you).