addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board ONGOING CAMPAIGNS REMIT 1: "ASK FOR EVIDENCE" (Faith is a vice, not a virtue!) › Why is religion often grouped with ethics?

Why is religion often grouped with ethics?

Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 315
I've just realised that many times I have seen religion and ethics grouped together as 'associated' subjects. This has got to stop!

This is a symptom of the 'High Ground' that religion has taken. We've got to push them off it!

Since when is it ethical to stone people to death, chop off hands of thieves or denigrate women!!!

Whenever you see it, please report it so that we can complain.

Example: The BBC (see under categories).
Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 426
Martyn,

I suspect that 'religion' got in on the ground-floor as societies developed and, as religion was an effective social control, virtually everybody thought that their 'morality' was coming from the priesthood.

I further suspect that this insidious coupling has much to do with the desperate argument (that we hear so often) that if there were no religion, we'd all be bad people.

Religion no longer has anything to say about the world or the cosmos - we all know that its writings are stupid and ignorant.

The linkage between 'ethics' and 'religion' seems to be one last, desperate punt by the clergy to give religion a role in our lives.

You're right; this has got to stop.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 815
Absolutely Martyn and Barry, trying to reason with them on facts won't work ...they'll perform all kind of mental gymnastics to 'prove' whatever they want to cling to. But disabuse society from this notion ...the uncoupling of religion from morality and the job would be all but done. I do feel strongly that we should focus our attentions here ...and not get sidetracked from this quite specific path.

I'm reading 'the moral landscape' by Sam harris. ...how science can determine human values.

"The more we understand about ourselves at the level of the brain, the more we will see that there are right and wrong answers to the question of human values"

We will have to confront ancient disagreements about the status of moral truth: religion says moral truth exists because god has woven it into the fabric of reality, whilst those who lack such faith tend to think of notions of 'good' and 'bad' as products of evolutionary pressure and cultural intervention. I want to persuade you that both are wrong...to begin a conversation about how moral truth can be understood in the context of science"

I've only read the first couple of chapters but it is unputdownable because if science can explain ethics, then the notion of 'respecting' all opinions on the matter is blown out of the water.

This pride from religionists about the moral highground reeaaally gets to me as well ... we need to be confident in getting them to be defensive about justifying their grounds for morality in terms of reason rather than trying to define ourselves on their terms of good with/out god. This BBC thing pisses me right off and I've sent them a complaint
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 326
BBC Religion and Ethics
Stomach turning association by the BBC between Religion and Ethics.

A Religion / Ethics Bulletin Board
I wonder if this is sponsored by The Ists.

An interesting (well, it might be to some) discussion
This is a thread on the Religion Ethics bulletin board. Other atheists in contact with The Ists.
Rose
user 53882812
London, GB
Post #: 76
I'm paraphrasing here, as I can't remember his exact words, but I remember Matt Dillahunty once commenting that "Religion has no morality: it has obedience to an authority figure, which it substitutes for morality." The relationship between religion and morality reminds me of the relationship new-agers have to energy: They talk about it all the time, but they don't know what the fuck it is.