align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › What does it take to shake..?

What does it take to shake..?

Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 578
I'm often intrigued by anecdotes of how some religious folk lose their faith after something awful happens to them or somebody very close.

I was watching something on disk the other day (I rarely watch broadcast telly) about the Holocaust. There was an interview with a man who had survived Bergen-Belsen death camp.
He told of how there was a very senior Rabbi amongst the group he was in when taken from Poland. He described how the Rabbi became more and more distressed as he realised what was happening to them all and what was going to happen soon. The Rabbi prayed continuously, day and night, that God would deliver them all from the horror.
Eventually the Rabbi gave up all hope and bemoaned to the group, "There is no God".

It seemed to me that the Rabbi had enjoyed a life of privilege and respect during peace-time in his home-town whilst his faith was untested. He rode the wave for all that it was worth. In the end, even he had to acknowledge that God was not going to help them, because he didn't exist.

I've seen similar accounts from survivors of 9/11, Katrina etc..

Just how 'close' does death have to get before people realise that there is no help coming.

I'm sure many here will remember the shocking film of a woman high on WTC1 praying before spreading her arms out so that God would catcher her as she fell....

Roger
user 33309642
London, GB
Post #: 101
And of course it's one of the theists' jeers to atheists - just wait until you're dying, you'll start praying then!