London Atheist Activist Group (friendly community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › The Parable of the Good Humanist

The Parable of the Good Humanist

David S
hyponitrite
Shepperton, GB
Post #: 62
Preamble: when you get to my age and have an original thought, it's probably only a half-remembered quotation dredged up from the crumbling vaults of memory. So what I'm about to tread is probably a well-worn path.

It is, of course, the parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:30-35), where the Samaritan, a pre-Humanist, acts in accordance with humanist principles regardless of race or class. No ulterior motives are attributed to the Samaritan (e.g. acting out a religious creed for divine reward) so we can take it that this is not a Christian act, as Christianity had yet to be invented, at that time.

So here we have a clear example of the humanist ethos, as recounted in the Bible, no less. Something with which to entertain your Christian neighbours in your next ideological discourse.

Avoid, of course, the false logic that places Humanism as a sub-set of Christianity, in accord with the above example; it is, rather, an intersecting set; the common ground being variants of the Golden Rule and so on.

It did occur to me to wonder how many other practical humanist parables are masquerading as Christianity.

V.I. David Stevenson
Brian
roy23
London, GB
Post #: 36
Yep I am with you on this one.........My daughter (that goes to a Roman catholic school ( yes i know how hypocritical of me, but it was the best local school) she had to do some h/w on a parable... I suggested the good Samaritan.... as it is the golden rule as you said................................Are there any more nuggets hidden within that Bibble drivel Book that you know of.
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 596
Luke 14:26 Jesus breaks up families
Luke 19:27 Jesus condones murder
2 Kings 2:22 God kills children with bears

So, so many more. You've probably started a long thread here.
The Babble - a great book for crap stories.