London Atheist Activist Group (friendly community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › I thought xtians aren't supposed to believe in "earthly possessions"?

I thought xtians aren't supposed to believe in "earthly possessions"?

A former member
Post #: 954
What is it with religious people and hypocrisy? My oh my. I really didn't expect it, not from a man of god. First he has an affair and then complains about having to live in a £450,000 'hovel' rent-free? I AM surprised. I was certain that all religious folks, especially respectable vicars, live a humble life in modest surroundings, in keeping with the carpenter fellow.

More LOLs from the xtians.

A bishop who refused to leave his vicarage after he was sacked for an extra-marital affair with a member of his congregation has been ordered out by a High Court judge.

Dr Michael Reid, 69, preached family values during his 30-year stint as senior pastor at the Trinity Church, in Pilgrims Hatch, Essex, before the affair with his personal assistant came to light in 2008.

The scandal rocked the church and led to the disgraced bishop, who had been married to his preacher wife, Ruth, for more than 30 years at the time, being sacked.

He signed an agreement promising to leave the adjoining vicarage, but when it came to moving time the former Met Police officer point blank refused to go.

Even when the church bought a £465,000 new home for him to live in rent-free for life, Dr Reid refused to move, branding it a "hovel", unfit for an invalid and complaining that it was right next door to a travellers' camp.

Now, after taking the case to the High Court, the church has won an order forcing Dr Reid to give up the vicarage, known as Testimony House, and hand it over for the use of the church's new senior pastor.

Jason
SweynTUV
London, GB
Post #: 108
So the ex-bishop says that the house belongs to him, but at one stage it was convenient for him to have the deeds say that it belonged to his church. Of course that was before he went and had an affair with his PA and he and the church parted company. Up to that point he clearly had it in mind that his property and church property amounted to the same thing. I am sure this is the story at a good percentage of independent churches.

A new church has opened up on a little industrial estate near my home. House of Favour and Fire Ministries International. Of course I have no evidence that this particular church is doing anything illegal (lawyers please assume appropriate legal handwaving here) but it does illustrate just how easy it is to create a pop up church. There are services and healings advertised every single day of the week. I would wager that the sums that this places generates are pretty significant, and well worth the airfare and board of bringing in a preacher from West-Africa, which seems to be their target demographic. Tax free and very few questions asked. I guess these guys just like to give themselves lots of practice at resisting temptation.

The name of the building killed me, "Palace of Favour". Well you'd think if you were doing God's work, he'd find you somewhere just a little more palatial or favourable than this dump.