addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

London Indie RPG Meetup Group Message Board › Literally Hacking Games, with Joe McDaldno! (+ Sean)

Literally Hacking Games, with Joe McDaldno! (+ Sean)

James G.
London, GB
Post #: 6
Crossposted from the Indiemeet forum.

As part of the Joe McDaldno London Octoberfest, he's going to be at Leisure Games in Finchley next Tuesday (15 October) where he and Leisure Games stalwart Sean Buckley will be taking the Blue Peter approach to hacking new games.

For those of you who don't know, Joe is a Canada-based story game designer of much reknown. His game Monsterhearts is insanely popular at Indiemeet (it's pitched most months) and he has also published Perfect, Unrevised, Ribbon Drive, One Quiet Year and numerous mini-games which you can get from his website. He'll be attending both (BOTH! count 'em!) Indiemeets in October as well as numerous other events around London over the next fortnight.

According to Joe's blurb:

“We think about games as more than just a collection of ideas and rules – they are artefacts, tangible vehicles, physical things. Ideas might start in the aether, but games are their arrival in the real world. But when we hack games, we often forget about that physicality. And so Literally Hacking Games is an opportunity to turn the process of hacking games upside down. Wielding photocopiers, scissors, tape, glue, pens, and some of our favourite and most despised game texts, we’ll hack games together. Join weirdo hosts Sean Buckley and Joe Mcdaldno on Tuesday October 15th, from 6pm-10pm, at Leisure Games. Bringing any crafting or zine supplies that you’re willing to share – we could use more. Bring some game texts – we’ll use the photocopier so that they don’t get destroyed”.

Sean adds:

"So, yeah. What Joe said. Also, think about images. Find some. Bring them. Do things to them. There is a reasonable chance that I will be kicking off with a critical hit table for a dog, and a free newspaper. I’ll probably end up with some kind of game poem about sadness.

"It’s also going to be a fairly laid back social kinda thing. So, don’t get paralyzed by terror at the thought of making things. And, don’t worry if you cant get there for 6pm. Later is good too. Bringing food and drink will not be frowned upon either."

I've offered to be there from around 4.30pm if there's any interest in running some games on demand (planning to prep a couple of Joe's mini games such as Abnormal but will probably be encouraging people play the less X-rated Quiet Year as it worked so well in store on Free RPG Day).

I hope to see you there!

Facebook event page
Google+ event page