Week sailing in North Croatia starting from Pula, Istria on 40ft Bavaria cruiser sailing boats.
What to see?
1) The city of Pula is best known for its many surviving ancient Roman buildings, the most famous of which is its 1st century amphitheatre, which is among the six largest surviving Roman arenas in the world and locally known as the Arena. This is one of the best preserved amphitheatres and is still in use today for concerts and film festivals.
The whole peninsula only become part of Croatia after II World War and Italian is widely spoken. Italian influence can be seen everywhere from architecture to food. Truffle mushrooms are picked in the peninsula and are ingredient in many dishes (price tag per kilo is EUR[masked] so you will not find them a lot on your plate...).
2) Brijuni Islands, 2-3 miles from Pula
In 1945 after World War II the Brijuni became part of Yugoslavia and President Josip Broz Tito made the Brijuni Islands his personal State Summer Residence. Almost 100 foreign heads of state visited Tito on this islands, along with film stars including Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Sophia Loren, Carlo Ponti, and Gina Lollobrigida. In 1991 Croatia gained independence and made the Brijuni Islands an International Conference Centre.
Four hotels on Veliki Brijun Island were re-opened, as well as a Safari Park, which holds animals given to Tito by world leaders. The International Brijuni Polo Tournament, dating back to Karl Kupelwieser's Austro-Italian Brijuni in 1924, has been re-continued since 2004.
3) Cres - island about 30 miles east from Pula. Sleepy, green, with its own fresh water lake in the middle and clean and water of amazing colour is my favourite Croatian island. Must see!
4) Susak & Unije – As a child I watched numerous documentaries about Susak, tiny but special place. It is geologically different that all other islands and name in Greek means – oregano because it grows abundantly. I wanted to visit that place for very long time and will not miss this opportunity.
How to get there?
Ryanair flies from Stansted to Pula
What type of boats will we be sailing on?
Bavarias 40 (3 cabins and 2 toilets). I have found Austrian company and they are known for good maintenance and management. Boats are in the charter for the first time.
Cost per person per week?
EUR 305 per person. EUR 150 deposit payed dirrectly to charter company.
Who can apply?
1. Only those who can pay deposit (EUR 150) within next month or so to secure the boat (and the deal)
PLEASE DO NO RSVP IF YOU CAN NOT PAY DEPOSIT WITHIN MONTH.
Can I book my flight already?
No. Please note that ones we have 6 people per boat, I will send you charter company information and I will provide you with individual code that will allow you to pay your deposit. The code will be valid one week. If not used, it will be canceled and next code will be issued for the next person. This is to make sure we pay deposit on time and avoid losing boat. Demand is quite astonishing for that sailing ground. Only ones everyone on the boat has paid deposit, these 6 people will be asked to book their flights. The same procedure applies for boat no 2 (and 3 depending on demands).
Meetup “Sailing in north Croatia - Pula” – August 31st to September 7th
I understand that this Meetup is a trip organised between a group of friends “the Group”, and that each individual will participate in the trip without liability to any other. I understand that one or more persons from the Group will act as Organisers to coordinate aspects of the trip, but I undertake that on no account shall I consider the Organisers or Meetup® to be acting as a travel agent or tour operator for the purposes of this trip.
I understand that all bookings or reservations will be made directly between myself as an individual and the Company responsible for providing the services booked (notwithstanding any assistance provided by the Organisers). Neither the Organisers nor the Meetup® website will be liable for any losses suffered by me as a consequence of this Meetup.
I undertake to make myself aware of any arrangements and deadlines that are suggested by the Organisers and to correspond and comply with them as necessary. I understand that if I am notified of a payment deadline but fail to make a payment I will become liable to the forfeit of any deposits already paid to the Company and to my place on the trip.
I accept that during the Meetup each boat will be commanded by a skipper, and that for reasons of safety and practicality the skipper will have the final decision on any matters relating to the boat and its occupants during the trip. I undertake to pay attention to any information and instructions given by the skipper, and promise to take a fair share of duties on the boat during the trip.