London Arduino Meetup Message Board › Wifi Modules

Wifi Modules

Andy C.
London, GB
Post #: 23
This week I was over in East London at the Internet of Things meetup (rather than attending the London Arduino meetup). To be honest I though it was a little wooly with people enthusing about analysing data and empowering people rather than making things which to be honest is what I find most interesting.

Whilst chatting in the pub after, I commented that the "Goodnight Lamp" project was rather too expensive and someone did a quick mental price breakdown and suggested that one of the issues was that the wifi modules were in the order of £20 each.

The cheapest I can find is the WizNet WizFi210 module for £24.28­

Does anyone know of cheaper options? I can see a few in the US but then the postage is restrictive.

We wondered if it was possible to use a cheap USB Wifi Dongle? Am I right in thinking that that's going to require a lot of coding to reproduce the drivers?

I see that a lot of remote capture projects use a base station approach and cheaper radio links to that. I'm not sure that really helps keep the price down unless you've a large number of sensors.
Andy C.
London, GB
Post #: 31
This looks like an interesting alternative approach. Basically take an old wifi router reflash the firmware with DD-WRT then talk to it via the serial port

The example above is for a Wifi extender for the Arduino serial port but it should be possible to do something where the arduino talks to a web service or server.