London Documentary Network Message Board › Factual Filmmaking with Ron McCullagh & Insight News TV - 10% off for members!!

Factual Filmmaking with Ron McCullagh & Insight News TV - 10% off for members!!

Keziah M.
Kez85
Group Organizer
London, GB

Hi everyone,

I'd like to flag up this 2-day course in factual filmmaking on Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th May. I attended this myself a few years ago and found it very useful as a thorough introduction to factual filmmaking. We have been offered a 10% discount for all members so if you're looking to learn some new skills then I definately recommend it.

Below is some info about the course....you can also see http://lfs.org.uk/cou...­[/url]

If you would like to book then you can contact David Anderson directly at the London Film School, and mention that you are a member of this meetup group: david.anderson@lfs-students.org.uk­

Best wishes,

Kez

Factual Filmmaking with Ron McCullagh & Insight News TV
Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th May 2011
Fee: £350 – includes all equipment hire
10% Discount for members of Meetup for documentary addicts; films that matter
This intensive 2-day workshop with Insight News TV introduces the tools and techniques essential to making broadcast quality News features. Emmy and Rory Peck award-winner Ron McCullagh reveals how the industry professionals make factual films using the most basic equipment: a digital camera, a microphone and a light. By the end of the workshop participants will be armed with the knowledge, confidence and practical experience required to single-handedly shoot a well-crafted twelve minute News feature. In addition participants will have been introduced to some of the realities of international journalism, finding ways to truthfully report stories through the experiences of the people involved. In short, to make the important interesting.
Topics covered by this intensive 2-day weekend workshop
-The deconstruction of selected films - insights into why shots were used and how sequences were filmed.
-The Sony HVR-Z1E HDV camera - a detailed demonstration, from how to use the menus to how to use the camera's functions to creative advantage.
-Sound - a discussion on types of microphone, their proper uses, and monitoring levels.
-Lighting - a discussion on how to use lights and gels to get the best visual effects in factual filmmaking.
-"The Interview" Theory and Practice - advice on all aspects of interviewing, from the correct method of questioning to the rules of angles, lighting, and close-ups. -Practical shooting exercise – followed by a detailed criticism of participants’ work.
-The realities of international journalism – finding ways to truthfully report stories, keeping in mind the ethical responsibilities of the journalist.
Ron McCullagh is the Managing Director of Insight News Television, a multiple-award winning documentary production company that has reported from over 100 countries worldwide.