addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

London Documentary Network Message Board › Occupy London Film Shoot

Occupy London Film Shoot

Far
user 37028522
London, GB
Post #: 3
Hi, I'm new to this group.... An idea raised at my own newly formed group was to film and hopefully create some sort of documentary about the Occupy London movement against banker domination and impropriety (see here­). Now this sounds very much along the lines of this group's aims so should we arrange a joint venture?

The St. Paul's camp got evicted the other day, but the Finsbury Square camp (see here­) is still there (for now) so I'm suggesting we go and film there ASAP.

Does this sound like something anyone here would like to get involved in? Do you have any ideas or suggestions; any topics or questions we should ask the occupiers; and the direction the documentary should take?

Thank you, and again time is of the essence, we don't know how long the camp has until it gets evicted, so we should act quickly.
Far
user 37028522
London, GB
Post #: 4
Okay we've set a date, Sunday 11th March, 1PM (details here­) for those interested!
A former member
Post #: 18
Hi Private I videoed the Trafalgar Square camp some while back and whilst I wasn't thrown out I was made to feel I was being intrusive and was unwelcome. Some (though admittedly not all) seemed to think that even on a demonstration they had a right to privacy. I think if you wanted to do this you'd need a link person, someone who knows the campers and had bought into the idea of videoing it. If you want to get it broadcast you'll also need a storyline. Just a video about the camps won't cut it.
Far
user 37028522
London, GB
Post #: 5
Hi, Jonathan and thanks for your interest.

The approach is to engage the occupiers, ask some questions and then, if they’re willing, turn our cameras on. I can certainly understand why someone would get annoyed if I stuck a camera in their face and started filming!

It will not be possible for us to craft an in-depth documentary about the greater issues behind the Occupy movement from just one afternoon’s filming. However, we could maybe approximate a documentary short of 15 or so minutes length about life in the camp, and a flavour of what they are hoping to achieve. Do they have any firm ideas on banking reform, are they pseudo-anarchists, or do they just simply want to do something?

Rather than having a cogent narrative, what this could instead represent is a snapshot of the human condition in 2012 -- where people have had enough of banker and corporate domination, the wars and aloof government. Are we at a turning point in history? (This very interesting article here discusses the cycle of wholesale change which occurs in civilisation every 80-100 years -- and is now due!)

Technology is democratising filmmaking, i.e. putting the power back into our hands. And as social media aided the Arab spring, I think it would be appropriate if we made what we produce on the Occupiers freely available to all on platforms such as YouTube, Vimeo, DailyMotion etc.
Far
user 37028522
London, GB
Post #: 6
Hey all,

Well the second Occupy London camp at Finsbury Square has been given its eviction notice and all protesters have to clear the site by Friday (18 May). You can see the film we created here: http://youtu.be/ScYxD-QwwiI­

It won't win any oscars and there is too much camera shake for my liking, but it was a good exercise and if Occupy moves onto bigger things we will at least have a record of their time at the square.

Anyway I look forward to meeting some of you at a future meetup!

Farazi