Ian B.
user 9645150
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 2
Hi All,

Sooner or later, we're going to have to make a decision about venues. I assume central London is probably best, and I also assume it's best to schedule evening meetups. If this doesn't suit, let me know. We'll have to go with the majority though, I think.

We've been told to expect about 100 members, and to expect half of those to sign up to any given meetup session. That could mean we'd need some pretty big venues...which can often mean paying. If any of you work for companies with nice central London offices who could provide space, please let me know. Ta.

Cheers
--
Ian
A former member
Post #: 1
Minibar london is held in a bar off brick lane - if you've been then you'll know it's not the best venue, but I wonder if they get the use of the projector and so on for free based upon the business that must bring in for the bar.

http://www.meetup.com...­

Andy.

Matthew W.
user 9648260
Fareham, GB
Dear Ian,

Minority or not, I would actually prefer an afternoon meeting. That makes travel in each direction on the day possible and reasonable.

Regards
Matthew West
A former member
Hi,

One thing to be decided is if we want an informal off work-time meeting, or a more formal one. In the first case, that I think is what the majority of people aims to, it would be better to have a meeting after working time, say starting around 18 and, if there is an agenda, this should start around 19.
The areas should be somewhere easily reachable by people around. Pehaps Kings Cross ?

ciao,
Andrea
Ian B.
user 9645150
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 6
I've been doing some digging on venues. Skinker's winebar at London Bridge has a room we can use that will sit between 20 and 50. It's free provided we "consume", so I'll sponsor some nibbles for the first meetup. They also have a 42" plasma TV in the room that will take a PC input, so that helps a lot too. It's close to a major station with overland trains and two tubelines. Buses are pretty good there too.

http://www.davy.co.uk...­

Probable structure is:

18:00-18:15 – people arrive
18:15-18:20 – quick intro from me
18:20-19:00 – presentation (invited speaker)
19:00-on – nibbles and drinks (I'll pay for some snacks, but can't put booze through expenses !)

I've started to ask around speakers and had some positive replies. I just need to firm up a date in the next week or two with one of them.

Ian G.
user 9646034
London, GB
Ian.
This sounds good. Probably more appropriate than an FJ location for a first meeting. I would support. What notice period are you planning?
IanG