LA Machine Learning Message Board › Analytics Opportunity with Health Care Company + R&D Lab at Children's H
Los Angeles, CA
Some of you know that I work in a "Clinical Big Data" research group at Children's Hospital LA (indeed, we hosted and I spoke at the second-ever meeting of LAML!). We have a very unique R&D data science job opening that we are looking to fill.
Rather than post the jargon-filled official description, I'll tell you what the job really entails; this person will work with three different organizations on a variety of interesting projects.
You will officially be employed by Virtual PICU Systems, LLC (don't bother googling it, they're revamping their website; look them up on linkedin or ask me for details) in what amounts to a "director of analytics" position. VPS manages a database of over 500,000 patient episodes from hospitals around the world and does comparative reporting, as well as development of predictive models. You come on board as a fairly senior person at the company, basically in charge of analytics efforts at VPS (running analyses, preparing reports, interfacing with client hospitals, developing novel predictive models, etc).
VPS will contract out a portion of your time to the Virtual PICU Lab at Children's Hospital LA, where you will perform two kinds of work:
(1) Support the design and execution of clinical studies within the ACCM department. This involves power calculations for sample sizes, running analyses, discussing results with clinical researchers, and aiding in the writing of methodology sections in papers and grants.
(2) Aid in the application of modern machine learning / data mining /etc. methods to large amounts of real world digital health data from the PICU. This is very cutting-edge, open-ended R&D, in which you will work with a diverse team of engineers, doctors, and academic collaborators to revolutionize health care.
If you're interested in making the jump to clinical big data (a very wise investment for your future!), this is a perfect opportunity to do so. VPS is a mature, well-positioned health IT company with competitive salary and benefits, providing responsibility and structure, but you also enjoy the stimulating environment of the VPICU Research Lab. You'll be in position to help steer the of these organizations and to make a real impact on (and a name for yourself in) the future of health care. If you'd like a flavor of the work we do, check out an annual meeting we started called "Meaningful Use of Complex Medical Data" ( http://mucmd.org ).
This position is ideal for post-docs with strong leadership skills or for experienced data scientists who want to carve out a new career in health care big data.
Briefly, here are the requirements:
- Graduate degree (Ph.D. preferred) in (bio)statistics, mathematics, or related field
- Strong skills with a modern data analysis ecosystem (SAS, SPSS, STATA, R, python stack, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of classic frequentist statistics (power calculations for sample size, regression analysis, multi-level models, etc.)
- Competent programming skills, on the level of writing data processing pipelines, scripting, etc.
- Strong speaking and writing skills (you can talk to clients; give presentations; write reports, papers, grants, etc.)
- Passion for learning and growing as a data scientist
Basically, we're looking for a statistician who can program, rather than a computer scientist who knows some statistics.
If you'd like further details, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I can pass along further details and tell you how to apply.
See you at the meetups!
Edited by Dave Kale on Oct 18, 2012 8:05 PM