Los Angeles Area Pagans & Witches Network Message Board › Gnomon Workshop Weekend (Digital Painting)

Gnomon Workshop Weekend (Digital Painting)

A former member
Post #: 66
Hi all!

I'm making a post about this here even though it's not pagan because I know that a lot of people in the group are interested in film, painting and art (or are artists themselves). I know a lot of you have asked me how I learned to paint and paint digitally etc, and I've even given in person demos to some of you.

Anyway, the school I sometimes take classes at is having another workshop weekend the end of March/beginning of April:

http://www.thegnomonw...­

It's $125 to attend the two day workshop (it tends to include food like subway or pizza for lunches), however if you've ever considered school for these things this is actually a deal (It's way less than classes etc... so I always budget to include going to these if I can). I'm adjusting my trip to AZ (I hope!) so I can go because there are some AMAZING artists teaching this time including Brom (if you like dark artwork you should know Brom!) and one of the Myst designers! The site has all the info and bios of the teachers and info on the workshops.

I've been to two of these before and found even the 3D stuff interesting (I don't do 3D, but seeing the work behind movies like the Matrix is pretty amazing!). Anyway, I guess with the cost it's doubtful any of you will go too, but I thought I'd post about it just in case!

Merry meet, merry part, and merry meet again!
--Jessica
RavenC
RC13
Sherman Oaks, CA
Post #: 51
Hi Jessica,
That class sounds extremely interesting. Do you know whether they give that workshop every year, or even more than once a year? I want to sign up for it, but I don't know whether I'll be able to attend. (And is the software they use primarily Mac compatible?)
Blessed Be,
~Heather
A former member
Post #: 68
They usually do it 2 or 3 times a year - once each semester. However the people teaching the workshops vary. Sometimes there are a lot more 3D ones, this one is more concept and illustration oriented. The software used tends to be Photoshop & Painter which are both PC & Mac... Brom is at this one so he's probably showing a slideshow of his painting process with real paint since I'm pretty sure he doesn't do digital. They also have ongoing classes and DVDs, but often the workshops are the only chance to see some of the major artists and designers at work.

For example I got to see Syd Mead at one - he's the guy who designed Tron, as well as a lot of stuff for Bladerunner and countless other movies. He's something of a legend... and I dunno that they will have him back again. So each workshop weekend is different, but watch their site for another in June maybe, and one in the fall.