Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Repelling Rodents with Plants

Repelling Rodents with Plants

Diana
user 9718965
Sherman Oaks, CA
Post #: 118
Hi Chicken Lovers,

Recently at one of the meetups we discussed various ways to address rats and mice in your yard and coop. There were a lot of different ideas thrown out there. Some not so environmentally friendly. In my gardening adventures I've been looking into a variety of plants, one being the geranium citronella which naturally repels mosquitoes. I had a light bulb moment, if there is a plant that repels mosquitoes, might there be a plant that repels rats and mice? To my surprise, the answer is yes! Some but not all of them are also drought tolerant plants. Do a search online and you'll find them. Here's a quick list I came across on eHow. There are other sources online as well. Some of these plants also repel fleas, ticks and ants.

Peppermint tree, Garlic & Garlic Society, Tomato plants and their leaves, Daffodils, Marigolds, Lavendar, Oregano, Sage, Black Pepper, Cayenne.

So there you have it. I'm sure there are more plants that will help.
victoria
user 38945632
Porter Ranch, CA
Post #: 13
Hi Diana-

Thanks for that info. Very helpful!
Vickie
Spinster_Sister
Hawthorne, CA
Post #: 193
well, heck you can just plant your herb garden around the chicken run/coop!!!
Diana
user 9718965
Sherman Oaks, CA
Post #: 120
I just planted some garlic society today and I still can't get the small off my hands. I've showered and washed them probably 10 times since then. I'm guessing that is a definite winner for repelling rodents.
A former member
Post #: 14
Be careful were you plant your garlic and onions. If your hens can eat them your eggs will have a bad odor and a bad taste.
Stephanie H.
plantsnchickens
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 11
I've been eyeball to eyeball with rats eating my tomatoes in my garden. The leaves did not repel them. As a horticuluralist and landscaper, Society Garlic is a plant I stay away from. Very smelly and hard to get rid of once established. I have also seen rats in my garden which is full of lavender and herbs. I have a hard time thinking our city rats are going to be repelled by any of these plants. Rats, when hungry, are fearless.
Elaine J.
ElaineJesmer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 67
I know I sound like a heretic here, but I've lived in New York. THOSE are rats. Our rats are smaller and somehow not as off-putting to me. I once found a tiny one curled up in my kitchen drain, trying to duck the cats. I grabbed it by the tail and tossed it into the garden. Yes, I know they chew wires in the attic and leave droppings and probably carry mites and disease, but they come and go so fast they hardly seem to leave a pawprint. I try not to leave anything that invites them into my world, but since I live in the hills I know there will always be rats. They will never be my friends or pets, but they aren't my enemies anymore.
Barbara D.
Babsadon
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 65
Lavender and geraniums are two decorative plants that my chickens won't eat. I saw my rooster eyeballing a potted geranium. I could swear he was thinking, "what did she plant that for? It doesn't taste very good."
david
user 4148344
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 59
Ours will eat geranium .. :'
Diana
user 9718965
Sherman Oaks, CA
Post #: 121
It's true, something mouse or rat like got into my tomatoes last year too but it sure looked to me like they were trying to get at them without getting into the plant. They were only eating the ones that were easy to get at. Plus the post says to do something to the leaves, make some kind of spray out of it? I can't remember now. I still think it's worth a try. I don't want to use poison in my yard and I don't really feel the need to get rid of all rodents. I just don't want them moving into my yard full time or setting up camp under my house somewhere. If this helps to deter them at all, I'm willing to give it a try. Even the stinky garlic society which is both drought resistant and has a nice looking flower on it. Sure, it stayed on my hands for longer than I would have liked but I do like garlic and you can use it to cook with.