Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Better Chicken Food: Fermented, Sprouts, etc

Better Chicken Food: Fermented, Sprouts, etc

Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 71
Hey Joanna, thanks for that considerate link! I see that the valve is metal too though :0/ It's my understanding that ACV reacts with any metal?
I wonder if I can find some crocks or lass bowls that will fit in the wire holders (I have the ones for dog cages that sit in the metal rings and attach to the cages) I have? I just don't want them on the ground where so much gets wasted from being knocked over of soiled, you know?
Cheers!
A
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 72

YES! We (my husband Dave) regularly sprout grains for our flock. He has a whole system worked out. We buy large bags of oats, wheat, milo, barley, and black sunflower seeds for sprouting. (We have pretty much eliminated corn and soy.)

We make concentrated lactobacillus culture and use it in the water to help with optimal sprouting. Multiple cashew containers from Costco (one for each day's feed) with large holes drilled in the top and a screen lining are used to sprout and turn upside down to drain. By adding a little ascorbic acid (vitamin C powder) to the water an hour before it pretty much renders the chloramide and chloramine which don't evaporate harmless.

In addition to the sprouted grains we have a dry mix of flax, millet, bird seed, black sunflower seeds, wheat, oat, milo, and barley. We adjust their diet according to their preference and needs.

Dave could probably explain it better : )
Hi Carrie! Your system sounds FAB! Do you think there is any way you could post a photo journal of your system? I'm an artist and MUCH better at visualizing by seeing pix than by reading text :0/
I'd be REALLY grateful if that's possible!
Where do you buy your organic grain? I'm looking into Azure Standard. Last night their system was glitchy though and I couldn't look up their grains/cost.

Cheers!
Ann
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 72
Sorry its taken me so long to post the links but when I finally had time yesterday I have NO POWER ALL DAY ....

Fermenting the feed does not increase the protein in the feed it just makes it more accessible to the chickens.... Something to do you the kind of digestive system they have .....

The 2 threads that are very interesting about this on BYC are :
1. http://www.backyardch...­

This was an experiment for someone raising meat birds.... as far as I understand they aren't bred to live long or be healthy just to quickly grow big & fat. Apparently their poo stinks to high hell and they get so fat their legs give out etc etc .... So if you don't kill them by 8-12 ish weeks they probably won't make it much longer. What they found is that on FF (fermented Feed) the poo didn't stink & they were much healthier....

2.http://www.backyardch...­

This link is very interesting but only somewhat useful to the urban chicken farmer..... and to be honest many of the people on the thread don't like city dwellers raising chickens. The other thing is that the woman who is advising everyone on the best methods to raise your chickens Culls out birds at any sign of weakness , illness, bad personality, too broody etc etc .... so for people that keep chickens as pets as well as egg producers it is only modestly helpful. If you have a sick chicken she will tell you to kill it ....

I have been sprouting for my chickens for awhile and it takes a bit to get it down .... some things go moldy MUCH faster then others, no matter how often you rinse them. I am low tech and just sprout in a bowl or bowls on my kitchen counter. I soak the grains, seeds whatever overnight and then rinse once or twice a day until they are sprouted.... as you learn how quickly things germinate you can sprout like things together.... I keep rinsing the sprouts until I have feed all sprouted grain to my hens....

Hope you all find these threads as interesting as I have!

Dave G.
user 46384662
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 4

Hi Carrie! Your system sounds FAB! Do you think there is any way you could post a photo journal of your system? I'm an artist and MUCH better at visualizing by seeing pix than by reading text :0/
I'd be REALLY grateful if that's possible!
Where do you buy your organic grain? I'm looking into Azure Standard. Last night their system was glitchy though and I couldn't look up their grains/cost.

Cheers!
Ann

Hi Ann - I'm responding for Carrie. I'll try to put something together to illustrate how we do the sprouting. It's simple when you're doing it but it's difficult to write a description (as Carrie found out!). Much easier to demonstrate it or show it with pictures.

We're not using organic grains currently, just regular types that you can get in bulk from Red Barn or East Valley Feed & Tack. But we'd like more info about that too.

I'm not sure if it was this thread or another, but someone asked about doing a meetup around fermented/natural foods and sprouts. We'd like to participate in something like that - we're probably not a good place to host it but we can show what we're doing with sprouts and lactobacillus. I'd really like to learn more about fermenting from people doing it.

Best,
Dave
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 229
Hi Dave and Carrie, I emailed you guys about the meetup. We can post here to see if someone would like to host a sprouting event. Another option would be to ask Red Bard or East Valley Feed and Tack if they would like to be a host an event. People might want to then buy their bulk grains at the site that is hosting. What would we need? I think just water and a sink or drain or site that needs watering where we can dump the rinse water.

Anyone know one of the owners of these places otherwise I can try calling.

Thanks, roberta
Dave G.
user 46384662
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 5
Roberta - Sorry I forgot about seeing that in your message! But yeah, a source of water and a drain (or a planted area) seems like all that's needed.

Dave
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 74
Oh this is a GREAT idea!
If the stores aren't into it, I have room here! It doesn't seem like there has been a great deal of interest in this thread but maybe the enthusiasm of a few can outweigh the disinterest of the many :0)
I would think it would be a good tie in for a store that sells the stuff to sponsor it but if not...
I would be interested in hearing from others where they buy organic grains in bulk. Azure Standard seems like a good option but maybe there are other places locally?
Yay, let's do this thing!
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 75
I buy mine from azure standards....

Samuel W.
user 37620172
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 9
I sprout for my flock when the grasses/weeds are sparse--although growing in good dirt is always the most nutritious. Azure is where I usually source my organic grains or Modesto Milling when I place pallet orders. I use a dual nesting 5-gallon bucket system with small (<1/8") holes perforating the bottom of the inner bucket. For those with the energy/time spreading the sprouts onto nursery seed trays (no drain holes) and additional watering cycles and timely sun exposure will yield beautiful fodder biscuits that your birds/livestock (and you when you see the resultant color in their yolks) will love. A barley-wheat mix seems to offer good results, though I often throw in buckwheat, peas, flax, or sunflower seeds, et al. I can brings samples to the mixer at Brandy's if I'm able to make it.

I think this discussion about sprouting/fermenting is awesome especially as it helps to restore the relationship between us and the microbes around/in us. Sprouting mimics the traditional way grains were eaten when stalks of wheat were gathered into sheaves and left in the fields. Inevitably the wheat was exposed to rain in the fields and the grains would partially sprout before drying and threshing. Much of our modern technologies have bypassed natural processes and left us with less nutritious food. Same with refrigeration as a primary means of preservation instead of fermentation. The main issue with almost all seeds is the phytates (an anti-nutrient that prevents the absorption of certain minerals including calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc). Sprouting and fermenting neutralizes phytates in addition to increasing amounts of micro-nutrients.
Davey
user 11420206
Azusa, CA
Post #: 25
i fed my chickens SCOBY this morning and all their crops are big. should i be concerned?