addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Do oats cause molting?

Do oats cause molting?

Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 265
I found info that some people don't feed oats (or maybe it's sproated oats only) because some people use it force molting. I've sprouted a batch but now I'm scared to give them! Anyone feeding oats on a regular basis?

Thanks, roberta
Sandra
user 41005282
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 4
I have been feeding my girls oats for years now,as a treat. This is the first year my two older girls have actually had a full molt.So I don't think regular oats cause molting,not sure about the sprouted ones though.
Leanne
user 11879008
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 118
I use organic oats for treats, but not fed exclusively. My first flock got it pretty much every day. The first hen in that group to moult was 1 1/2 years old, a normal age for a first moult.

The only things I know that will force a moult is irregular lighting or a brief starvation period, kind of like what the factory egg farms do get all the hens to moult simultaneously.

Happy Thanksgiving
Susan J.
SueJ
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 46
I feed mine hens & duck 2 kinds of oats mixed in their feed. I get several bags of different types of feed, grain and seed from the feed stores on Riverside Drive in Glendale/Burbank, near the Equestrian Center. I mix it all in a big bin and feed them that, with the majority being their daily feed. They look really healthy.
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 290
Thanks for the feedbabck. Figured it was probably just what someone was told and he's been passing it along. Started feeding them the "sprouted" one but the sprouting rate seems really low. I got this as whole oats from Valley Feed. Modest interest from the girls. Seems like sprouted BOSS is the crack of the chicken world. If i hear some clucking too early, i throw some out and then there is complete silence.
sandplum
sandplum
Winnetka, CA
Post #: 27
Have you tried serving cooked oats, like a bowl of oatmeal?
Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 251
I can only think that any feed that causes molting would be due to a lack of proper nutrition. Maybe old-time chickenkeepers would switch from layer feed to straight oats to drop the protein level fast, which might stress the bird and encourage molting. I doubt that using oats in combination with other foods would cause any reaction. I've fed mine oatmeal and oats as a treat with no ill effects.