Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Looking for two chickens and a female bunny

Looking for two chickens and a female bunny

Rishi
user 14626497
Diamond Bar, CA
Post #: 1
Hey friends,

Well with the new coop up we have plenty of room for our birds, and I'd like to add 2 more to our flock. Anyone looking to downsize their laying flock? I'd prefer red/pink egg layers, and I can offer $10/bird.

Also, I'm looking for a male bunny as a companion to a female that we have who is lonely.

Thanks,
Rishi
The Growing Home
Sally
user 8445997
Sherman Oaks, CA
Post #: 13
Hi Rishi,

The Burbank Animal Shelter has several adorable bunnies for adoption. They are very well cared for. You could also check with a bunny rescue organization.

Sally
A former member
Post #: 167
HI, I work with a small rescue here in Redondo Beach---www.toomanybunnies.com---and urge you to source your new bun from the many languishing in shelters. Rabbits are the 3rd most discarded animal, after cats and dogs, and are often considered a "starter pet" by Petco, etc. They are NOT any such thing. Females should be spayed, for instance, since they have a 85% chance of developing uterine cancer by 5 years of age if they are not fixed. Never contribute to the rabbit overpopulation problem by allowing unrestrained breeding, which will happen in a second. Males should be also neutered at a young age for the important reason it mitigates spraying of urine and aggressive hormone surges that make them difficult to manage as pets.
Obesity in rabbits is a huge problem with the sale of high calorie "goodie pellet" formulations being sold by companies trying to appeal to the rabbit's owner's palate, not the health of rabbits. The most important diet for a house rabbit is abundant grass or timothy hay in maturity, and alfalfa hay for youngsters. Pelleted foods are NOT the main part of the diet. Nor is high sugar carrots, fruit or other treats.
Rabbits should NOT be confined to a cage or hutch everyday---they need to exercise their muscles and bones and alleviate boredom by running freely either in the house---a room with safety concerns like wires addressed---or a large run outdoors. For some reason, people see rabbits as cage animals, but would never keep a cat or dog confined in a cage! This may be a holdover from rabbits raised for meat eating, who don't have long lives---not a pet.
I highly recommend, if you do not have it, the "House Rabbit Handbook, How to Live with an Urban Rabbit" by Marinell Harriman. (Amazon) Rabbits are PREY animals, and as such are not well understood my most people in terms of their socialization, habits, and mentality. I have 4 house rabbits, and they are very loving, funny, active, tidy, clean and inquisitive---but they need understanding of their unique nature and it really helps to be educated by a book which emphasizes these psychological needs. Most books on rabbits do not.
Rabbits are not the same as dogs and cats in their doctor needs. If you must go to a vet for health issues, only a RABBIT VET is qualified. They are considered 'exotics' only because they are not dogs/cats. You should have this arrangement in your health kit, BEFORE you are desperate with need. Rabbits can die very quickly with Gastrointestinal Stasis, a common problem. Know the signs and have vet contact.
There is also a very good shelter in Orange County, the BunnyBunch, with 2 locations. They have a large website, with photos of the adoptable buns, and also adopt chincillas, hamsters, and guinea pigs.
Sorry to run on like this---you may already know all this---but I consider it a duty to spread the word on these often poorly understood pets and the many ways they are poorly housed and fed. It comes from experience. Someone else reading may need the information.
A former member
Post #: 168
Rishi--also, wanted to add---I am glad to hear you recognize a only bun is a lonely bun. Rabbits suffer greatly all alone---they really bond deeply and should have a suitable friend.
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 400
I spoke to Rishi and am trying to see if my boy bunny and his girl will get along. Right now our two boys aren't getting along but finding pairs for them puts me way over my warm body limit for us. So hopefully i can try bonding visits with our other bunny.

He will probably take two of our chickens. Trying to make plans. I'd really like to get more bunnies, anyone who loves chickens would love some bunnies. They are super cute, cuddly and loving.
Shona B.
user 13026676
North Hills, CA
Post #: 10
West Valley Animal Shelter has a hen and about 10,000 rabbits.
david
user 4148344
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 98
Spay and Neuter!!!!!
Josh I.
user 79016852
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 1
Hey Rishi,

I have two egg laying Egyptian Fayoumis that have been raised in a good home. The eggs are on the smaller side, but very consistent. They just started laying in the new year.

Let me know if you're interested. Thanks, josh.
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 420
Thanks Rishi for taking Pipsquek, Sidekick and wabbit. Pipsquek doesn't like anyone but she closed her eyes and smacked her lips when Rishi held her. I'm so glad. They are going to have a wonderful new home. :)