add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › KPCC Chicken Poll - **Please participate!!**

KPCC Chicken Poll - **Please participate!!**

Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 273
Hey gang - KPCC ran a segment on backyard chickens today on Air Talk, and I was the first call-in commenter after their scheduled guests. I didn't have much time but I tried to get a plug in for our legalization efforts. I just discovered, on their website, that they're running a poll about how people feel re: backyard chickens, and it's strongly in favor of allowing more!!! Please please, go to this page KPCC chicken poll and put in your two cents, lickety split!! We want to tip the scales in favor of all who (correctly) know that a backyard isn't complete without a flock!
(boy, you can tell I've had a beer after a long hard day - but seriously, please go take the poll - it's only one question and it's a no-brainer!!!)
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 408
Took the poll. Interesting, i had been contacted by KPCC asking if he could speak to me this week. Well he asks if I know about groups speaking out against backyard chickens. He definitely asked the wrong person. Who asks someone in a group called Chicken Enthusiasts a question like that!
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 88
Took the poll and left a comment. It looks like most people who voted seemed to be in favor, so far. I think people have this false idea that chickens are loud. My ladies don't like one of my neighbors who hangs out next to my fence and slams a trash can lid over and over again, but neither do I! They bwak bwak bwaaak at them once in a while, but the lid slamming on the trash can is much louder than the chickens and I have never gotten any real complaints, so far.
Honestly, the wild parrots are SO insanely loud, I'd laugh if anyone complained about my ladies. The parrots start at daybreak, it's way more disruptive than a few chickens!!
Pete K.
user 54883572
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 19
My neighbor would be willing to speak out against backyard roosters....
A former member
Post #: 368
Who asks someone in a group called Chicken Enthusiasts a question like that!

They probably wanted a "balanced" conversation.

The best way to win fights is to know your enemies. For example, if the main issue is smell, kept properly with thick bedding and free-ranged backyard chickens DO NOT smell. Next complaint is noise, and again if kept properly and allowed to roam there is rarely any noise and it is much less than dogs.

According to the audio clip, Kim Sturla of Animal Place is against legalizing chickens because some people will treat them inhumanely. That is narrow-minded, because there are a few bad apples in every tree, and the same argument can be made against dogs, cats, babies, guns, cars you name it. Animal Place and other organizations need to look at the big picture if they want real change.

In the mean time we have billions of chickens treated inhumanely, and one of the best ways to educate consumers is to have more chickens around. Activist videos by Animal Place and other organizations didn't not change my eating habits, because people got prosecuted, and matters solved. What made me change is having chickens.
user 13149651
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 3
Thanks for sharing this! I just took the poll and listened to the recorded conversation.
Pete K.
user 54883572
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 23
As a "con" that the chickens may be treated inhumanely is laughable, for the reasons Marty points out.

Profit mindset is what causes "inhumane" treatment. The quotes are there because this mindset is unfortunately all too "human" in my experience.

That's all I needed to say, but as a bonus how about the 50,000 chickens that starved last year on a good old factory farm? Found the article when searching for this very poll on kpcc site:­
Winnetka, CA
Post #: 32
Hey Cynthia! I heard you *live* while I was driving and I was so happy that you called in. Great job! I wish more of us could have joined you. I think it's great that this issue is being discussed on the radio. Now we have to continue to educate the locals and law makers so they understand the issues. Thanks for getting it started.
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 414
Yup glad you knew to call in. We need to work on getting these annoucements out to people in time to participate. If anyone hears about something post on the board or email. I want to avoid emailingall 1095 of us so at least the most active will know.