Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Adding rock mineral AZOMITE to chicken feed

Adding rock mineral AZOMITE to chicken feed

A former member
Post #: 394
Is the science real or is it smoke and mirrors? This is from azomite.com (see also wikipedia.org):

Research indicates using AZOMITE® in feed improves bird size, resistance to disease and greatly improves throughput in feed mills.

AZOMITE® has shown numerous benefits to the poultry industry. Accredited researchers report:
  • Improved immune system functions
  • Resistance to Clostridium Perfingens
  • Improved feed conversions, size and yield
  • Improvements in size and feed conversion using feed contaminated with various mycotoxins
  • Improved pellet quality
  • Improved flowability
  • Improved eggshell strength and quality

Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 108
Do they give any break down on minerals or vitamins included?

I'm just curious if they are similar to trace minerals? It's not apparent from the links.
A former member
Post #: 395
I found the answer in FAQ:

What is AZOMITE® composed of?
In a typical chemical assay, AZOMITE® contains more than 70 trace minerals which include many rare earth elements (lanthanides). Many of these elements have been depleted from soils worldwide. For a complete typical analysis of AZOMITE®, click here.

"Click here" takes you to this list:
AZOMITE® - Typical Analysis

Edit:This section is FYI, relevant only if you want to save the list in PDF or want to copy/paste specific elements into online search.

I found the PDF version, here. Copying/pasting the PDF, adding percentage totals (percentages may not total 100 due to rounding):

Testing Method: Spark Source Mass Spectrometry

Mineral Analysis
Alumina, Al2O3 11.43%
Barium oxide, BaO 0.09%
Calcium oxide, CaO 3.67%
Carbon, C (320) 0.61%
Chlorine, Cl 0.22%
Ferric oxide, Fe2O3 (50,000) 1.37%
Hydrogen, H 0.38%
Magnesium, MgO 0.78%
Manganese oxide, Mn2O3 (1,000) 0.02%
Nitrogen, N 0.15%
Oxygen (O) 0.73%
Phosphorus pentoxide P2O5 0.15%
Potassium oxide, K2O 5.23%
Silica, SiO2 65.85%
Sodium oxide, NaO 2.07%
Strontium oxide, SrO2 0.03%
Sulfur trioxide, SO3 0.21%
Titania, TiO2 0.20%
= 93.19%

Loss on Incineration 6.43%

Additional Element Analysis in ppm
Antimony 0.4
Arsenic 1.1
Beryllium 3.3
Bismuth 3.5
Boron 29
Bromine 6.6
Cadmium 0.3
Cerium 230
Cesium 21.7
Chromium 6.1
Cobalt 22.3
Copper 12
Dysprosium 2.7
Erbium 1.7
Europium 3.7
Fluorine 900
Gadolinium 3.7
Gallium 15
Germanium 6.1
Gold 0.005
Hafnium 21
Holmium 0.6
Indium 0.01
Iodine 2.2
Lanthanum 220
Lead 6.2
Lithium 859
Lutetium 0.5
Mercury (Hg) 0.01
Molybdenum 12.6
Neodymium 5.1
Nickel 2.6
Niobium 40
Oxygen 7253
Palladium 0.008
Praseodymium 27
Rhenium 0.011
Rhodium 0.002
Rubidium 325
Ruthenium 0.013
Samarium 6.2
Scandium 2.7
Selenium 0.7
Silver 0.005
Strontium 380
Sulfur 240
Tantalum 2.7
Tellurium 0.022
Terbium 0.8
Thallium 5.9
Thorium 180
Thulium 0.6
Tin 2.9
Tungsten 26
Uranium 4
Vanadium 7.8
Ytterbium 1.4
Yttrium 23
Zinc 64.3
Zirconium 62.7
user 76599302
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 5
I have heard of people using it in their gardens but I am not sure about feeding it to chickens. Like DE there might be anecdotal data but no real scientific data. I am leery because of the high silicon dioxide content in powder form which could be harmful to lungs if inhaled.
A former member
Post #: 397
Bottom line
Feed: I am not sure whether Azomite helps chickens. If anyone tested it or has reference to scientific papers, that will be great. They claim it strengthens egg shells and makes chickens resistance to disease, but so does calcium, such as oyster shells, which both strengthens egg shells and makes hens healthier because otherwise the calcium needed for egg production comes from the bones (which makes them weaker).
Soil: Until there is more proof my best choice is compost and seaweed. Worked for centuries.

PS here is another link, titled "Azomite, Rock Dust, Greensand, Oh My" 'forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0101413410245.html­. Lots of hype, little to no scientific proof.
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 109

I'm concerned about the heavy metals they are adding. There are a ton of things you don't want to eat or add to your yard!! I know they are parts per million or billion but lead, cadmium, titanium, manganese, mercury, etc are all metallic and in concentrations can build up and cause all sorts of nasty issues. I don't know why you would want to add this to chicken feed or your yard. Not to mention breathing the fine powder would be very bad.

Consequently, I hope people are very careful using DE also. It's really bad to breathe it also. As one person mentioned, silica dust and the heavy metals cause irritation and can also be carcinogenic. I had this drilled into me in art school and my favorite painting professor died of lung cancer my senior year from using lead/ heavy metal paints. It's definitely stuff to avoid breathing and touching, if possible.

With things like wood ash replacing DE and just using soil amendments like kelp, blood and bone meal and manure, most people can have pretty good yields on crops. Also, rotating crops or raised bed planters can address soil depletion issues. I really like your idea of getting finished compost from the farm in long beach, I feel like it would be better to support them than to add a bunch of heavy metal to your soil that may or may not be good for you and any wildlife.
I'm no chemist but after 4 years of art school and being educated on the toxicity of various materials in painting and sculpture, I learned the value of a respirator and wearing gloves to limit exposure. This is my twelve cents...

And I second your seaweed and compost ideas. You can add spent grains from brewing to mix it up, they make GREAT compost. My yard is so filled with earthworms, it's insane. I dumped a pot in my garden yesterday that was sitting in the driveway filled with soil from my front yard. There were about 50 earthworms in it. I've only been using organic amendments on my whole yard and the worms have gone nuts. They also make great compost and make the soil less dense, which I really need with the clay soils around here. Have more work to do, but I've gotten a long way from the whole yard being covered in concrete just last summer.
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 113
I am getting back to the basics around here. I want to be able to pronounce anything in my food and grow stuff in dirt with additives that are real substances. I like the idea that I know what kelp, blood and bone meal are. Additionally, I've learned that grass LOVES rabbit pellets. So I have organic grass without spending any money, effectively. And I don't worry if my toddler eats the pellets or whatever. No poison or crazy fertilizers around here. I use biological control agents and plant based things as much as possible.

It seems like most of these additives are untested and expensive. I just think good old compost, poop and an occasional blast of nitrogen, etc is good enough for me. I keep my yard safe for my kiddo and my chickens. (And me, too !)
A former member
Post #: 403
Rabbit pellets? I have heard of rabbit manure being very good for the soil, but not the pellets. I want to start a thread listing green and animal compost available in the LA area. Green is usually from either the city (LA has low quality compost) or tree removal services, delivered free. Manure is available from anyone that keeps farm animals, just be sure about the diet, for example if from horses that eat grass, manure will likely have grass seeds, which you don't want in the garden.

You are right about going back to basics. Think about all the aisles of processed foods at grocery stores, aisles of fertilizers and pesticides at home improvement stores, everyone is trying to figure out the packaging and what works instead of going back to basics.
A former member
Post #: 404
I don't worry if my toddler eats the pellets or whatever.

Reminds me of this Just For Laughs Gags clip, Deer Poop Interpretation Prank: 'youtube.com/watch?v=hj0PXqiLqAE­
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 114
Rabbit pellets or alfalfa pellets are great plant/grass food. They along with things such as soybean meal, cracked corn, kelp, corn meal and pretty much anything with a decent protein content makes great fertilizer. Alfalfa in particular seems to really work for grass. Cornmeal can control certain types of fungus and there are many non chemical ways to control pests and "feed" your plants. Buying feed grade soy, corn and alfalfa is a way to keep your yard organic for very low cost, very effectively. I try to not use as much soy and GMO stuff, but alfalfa is pretty inexpensive and really greens up grass quickly. Molasses is also excellent for feeding soil microbes and causes the earthworm population to dramatically increase, since they feed on microbes in the soil.
I've been able to transform my barren yard in about a year or two with these additives.