align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Chickens Galore Norco?

Chickens Galore Norco?

Susan J.
SueJ
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 61
Just wanted to say that I love this group and all of you guys are so nice and awesome! :)
joAnn O
TokenGirl
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 25
Hi Susan,

I'm not looking for new babies this year but rather for next spring - BUT, depending on when you guys go if my schedule permits, I'd like to tag along. Otherwise, I may just pick a day and go out to Norco and meet up with different breeders in the area at a later date :)
Marie M.
user 45254602
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 43
Susan - when were you going to Chickens Galore? I sent Russell an email last night. I just realized it's too late to call now. I am very interested in day old chicks for a very broody silkie. Do you know if his chicks are sexed?

Thanks! Marie
Susan J.
SueJ
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 66
Hi sorry guys I went last night! I went with a fellow animal lover friend so we could use the car pool lane. However, I LOVED this place and I'd happily go again just for the ride and I think it would be fun to get there an hour early and just check out the cute little town. I highly recommend this place to anyone. It is cute, charming, very clean, tidy, the animals are healthy, well cared for, nice warm clean living spaces for all of them. Russell is professional, nice. I can't rave enough about this place! 10 out of 10 stars! I picked up 6 hens for a new friend here, Monique, and was looking for ONE Silver Laced Wyandotte for me, but I ended up with FOUR chickens!! 1 teenage Silverlace Wyandotte. 1 teenage gorgeous red & white "Red something", Red Star breed maybe, which I never even knew existed, and 2 teeny tiny Silkies!! A cute 2inch tiny white fluff ball, and a 2inch mixed beige color. Damn it, I couldn't resist! And learned later that you can't sex Silkies til they're older so one or both could be males, doh!

If anyone wants to go, I'm in Glendale area and happy to join you for the drive. We left Pasadena at 6:15 and made good time, not too bad. It was a very nice time to go. We got there with plenty of daylight to see all birds, and various ages and breeds. Carlos showed us the birds and was patient with my picking ones I wanted :)

I brought 3 carrying cases (dog & cat carriers), but we only used 2. 6 birds in one (no fighting, I was surprised, but they were teenagers.. ), and 1 carrying case for my 2, plus babies in a brown bag (I would bring a box for future chicks).

I highly recommend you guys make the drive, it's well worth it and not bad, and i'm happy to join so we can chat and do carpool lane :)
Barbara H.
user 25584672
Monrovia, CA
Post #: 42
I love this information. I hope all keep posting dates for Norcal field trips. I want to go too....I need two, three, four, five, what ever more. I'd take chicks over clothes shopping any day. LOL....
Monique M.
user 19418691
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 6
Sue,

Thank you so much for your kind generosity! The six pullets you picked up for me are so beautiful, I'm already in love with them. How are your new chickens doing, especially the two baby silkies?
Susan J.
SueJ
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 69
Hi all :) To answer 2 earlier questions I just noticed.. 1) it's never too late to call or text me, I'm a night owl. If I can answer I will, if I miss a call, leave a text or vm :) I turn my phone off around midnight to 1am so the ringer doesn't wake me. 2) Yes I have an answer about whether the silkies are sexed or not - no they are not, which I found out after I got my 2 home! I was excited to get them and so I read about them when I got home.. only to find out that silkies cannot normally be sexed until they're 3-4 months old! I had no idea, and hadn't thought to ask. I text'd Russell the next day asking if the silkies could be male, "yes". Ok.. my fault for buying something not informed.

I will not be buying any more chickens, however I'm still up for carpooling if anyone wants to drive, just to go for the ride and a fun afternoon/evening :) Animal stuff = fun for me :)

I'm so happy also to have made a new chicken owner friend, Monique, and a few more friends by email! Monique my 4 new hens are doing well thanks! Glad yours are too! I want to come visit you and check out your coop again. I'm going to build elevated nest boxes like you have. I've named my new four girls: Silkie white: Judy (Garland, mom's favorite singer!). Silkie buff/brown: Foxy (Foxy Brown!) Red sex link/Cinnamon Queen breed (which I LOVE and had never heard of!!!) - Scarlett! and Silver Lace Wyandotte - Dutchess, because she'll be beautiful and elegant with a splash of exotic :)
Karen
user 11697422
Glendale, CA
Post #: 61
So glad to learn about this place, since I'm now in Wrightwood, and Norco wouldn't be too far. What was the price range for the ages of hens you got?
Susan J.
SueJ
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 70
Hi Karen, prices, hmm, good question, I'm not sure what I paid for each, however it was $55 total for 4 birds. 2 1-week old silkies, 1 "Red Cinnamon Queen" and 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte (both 6 weeks old). Russell was busy when I went so we didn't chat much. I called Russell just now to find out prices. Chickens & chicks range from $12 - 35, price varies per breed and age, so prices will change each week as they get older (older ones are higher priced I believe). Sometimes they have specials/sales. I believe the Copper Marans are $25. Russell says people need to call him to confirm prices for the day you pick them up.
Karen C.
user 83873082
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
Post #: 45
Chicks are $6 each (which I paid for 2 week old Silver Wyandotte Pullets), $15 for specialty breeds (which was the cost of a day old Blue Laced Wyandotte.). That includes the cost of vaccinations. I've seen a special advertised on Craig's List where you buy 5 and get one free. Probably depends on how many he has to move out to make room for new chicks. He has supplies, also. Bought a huge bag of medicated crumbles for $25. On our way out there today to pick up some 6 week old Pullets. Will let you know what those prices are once I return.