addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › hard cooked eggs

hard cooked eggs

sandplum
sandplum
Winnetka, CA
Post #: 39
Any tips on how to peel a hard cooked (boiled) egg? My eggs are so fresh that the shells are tight and hard to remove.
Laura B.
FarmerLaura
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 105
I peel mine under water. I crack the shell all over, then peeling it in a bowl of water. It seems to lubricate the membrane. OTOH, my hardboiled eggs usually look like a moon scape, with lots of craters.
Kara
user 70324112
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 2
I usually set some aside or only use my oldest eggs and it helps a lot. I have also heard of people putting baking soda in the water. I have not tried this yet but it may be worth a looking into.
Winnetka F.
user 14092234
Winnetka, CA
Post #: 12
Try hard poached eggs, no peeling at all for egg salad. I poach a dozen at a time.
david
user 4148344
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 102
One week old.eggs...add a splash of vinegar to the water
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 480
the older eggs have a bit of air under the shell that will help with the peeling but i got a tip that seems to do the tip for any egg. Put the eggs in room temp water so they are covered. Heat the water till boiling then turn off the heat. Let them sit for at least 13 minutes. Let them cool or they can be peeled hot. Crack the egg and then roll the egg with your palm back and forth on a firm surface to break and loosen the shell. Shell should come off almost in a big sheet.
Helen R.
user 16832291
Altadena, CA
Post #: 1
I steam my eggs for 20 minutes, then run under cold water until I'm able to handle them. Haven't had a problem since I've tried this. Use a regular metal steamer you would use to steam vegies.
JoAnna
joannapaloma
Alhambra, CA
Post #: 161